2014-07-27 board meeting
to calendar ..
- Board meeting held on Sunday, July 27th.
- Started at 2 pm.
- Meeting adjourned 3:04 pm.
- @the space, 5502 1st Avenue N., Birmingham AL 35212
Board members present
- Trae Watson, Chair
- David Johnson, Treasurer
- Shawn Pearson, Vice-Chair
- Shirley Hicks, Secretary
- Russell Holcombe, Board member-at-large
Board member present for part of the meeting via Google Hangout
Attending RMM members
- Chris Lais, Member
- John Rhyme, Maker
- Steven Wyss, Maker
- Colin Brogan, Maker
- Feedback from members regarding space activities
- Application for city business license
- Treasurer's report
- Wiki issues
- Planned change in meeting dates/times.
- Current electrical rates & consumption
- Bib & Tucker is considering pulling out of current arrangement. Space currently isn't meeting their needs. Need working space for 30 people in a more open room.
- Growth issues
Comments from Trae with regards to feedback from makers that we're stuck in the administrative weeds. We need to focus on facilitating makers and members with their projects and making the space an enjoyable place to spend time in.
Shirley - Need to get to city hall to start business license application as the we are three quarters through the year in which we are required to file for it. Trae offered to go with her once date and time set.
David - Have tax extension - but need to keep an eye on when filing is due. David now available to work on that.
Have to file for our own 501(3)c incorporation.
Shirley to restore infrastructure page with electrical and HVAC details.
Treasurer's report - July
- (Treasurer playing catchup after completing dissertation)
- Cash on hand: $2,186.74
- Income: $915 (Paypal) from 7 makers, 5 members, 4 renters, & 1 double renter (cash still needs to be stated)
- Expenses - need to be caught up.
- Full report and catch-up bookkeeping to be done in a separate finance meeting, date to be determined.
Had problems connecting with the Space Federation. That call in will need to be done separately, as board members failed to respond to an email making arrangements in a timely manner.
This will be the last Sunday board meeting; as of August 2014, future board meetings will be last Tuesday of the month at 5 pm.
- Member meetings to be on Tuesdays at 6 pm.
- Tuesday class and project meets to be at 7 pm.
- Electrical expenses:Andrew Morrow is asking us for 11¢/kwh.
- Required deposit to transfer the Alabama Power electrical account to our own name is a bit steep (equivalent to two months bill) Need to wait until we have 3 months operating expenses in the bank before considering that large expense.
- Bib & Tucker is considering pulling out of current arrangement. Space currently isn't meeting their needs. Need working space for 30 people in a more open room. Would opening up a second large room meet their needs?
- Group growth - we have more people who are interested, but they need to make full member status.
- Mykel Alvis tested a Google account call in.
- David and Trae worked on reconciling membership payments