2014-09-16 Maker meeting

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

Meeting started: 6:07
Meeting adjourned: 6:37

Location

@ the space, 5502 1st Avenue North, Birmingham, AL

Participants

Shirley Hicks, member
Shawn Pearson, member
Chris Lais, member
Trae Watson, member
John Rhymes, member
James Nylen, maker > member
Aneil Panjwani, maker

Agenda

New

Vote for membership Mark Gilburt
Vote for membership James Nylen
Vote for Treasurer, nominee James Nylen (pending membership vote)
Fire inspection report
Electrical update
innovation week

Old

Computer Lab 2.0 - additional work required

Back Burner

  • Language for standing rules
  • Vaping

Minutes

New

Request for an old A/C from membership to vent servers, routers et al in Computer Lab 2.0
Electrical update
  • Quote from master electrician to add illuminated exit signs and emergency lighting required by both our insurer and the Fire Code - $1500.00
  • An additional $700.00 to tidy up electrical panels.
2nd Quote received from Myles Jackson III to do work under supervision.
  • Ballpark estimate to redo electrical in space and bring up to code - approx $12,000.00.
These quotes will also be used for putting together a proposal to Woodlawn Foundation & other community agencies to get a capacity building grant, as suggested by Lillis Taylor, member.
Doing this work would ensue the space is safe, with the capacity necessary for us launch local community outreach and neighborhood education efforts. Mark, Steven and Shirley to form fundraising committee, to explore options.
Shirley to ask when Mark and Steven are available for an inaugural fund-raising committee meeting.
Financial report - David filed our initial 990-N as a non-profit as of August 15th, our extension date granted earlier in the year.
Volunteer Keith Davis, accountant, will give us some account set-up advice. Meeting to be set with James Nylen and other available, interested directors. (See minutes of subsequent meeting)
Fire Department inspector came to inspect space on Friday, September 12th. We requested the inspection to ensure that the remedial work we are planning will be in compliance with the city's fire code.
  • Aside from the need for illuminated exit signs, only other deficiencies were that we needed to close in the open wall in the Shape Lab and ensure that all electrical outlets and switches had cover plates. When work done, we are to call for reinspection. This must be completed by November 12th, with the option (if needed) for a one month extension.
  • Inspector's report is in filing cabinet, top drawer.
votes for membership: Mark Gilbert & James Nylen
Vote for new Treasurer:
  • James Nylen nominated for position, no other candidates, voted in unanimously.
innovation week - decision made to let organizing committee know that we can be open Tuesday, September 23rd for visitors.

Old

Mark Gilbert - proposal to make prototypes within the makerspace.
Needs skill sets - physical machining capability & programming. Contact Mark directly for additional details. This should be an interesting project.
Date for "Label Your Stuff & Equipment Inventory Night" work night set for Monday, September 22 at 6:30 pm.
Shirley to update paypal button on website as per Baird's request.
Shawn brought group up to speed regarding http://makerfaireatl.com/power-racing-series-comes-atlanta/ Power Car Racing at the Atlanta Maker Faire].
  • Car mods running close to max budget, need team for mascot creation.
  • Need drivers for the project and batteries. Nickel Metal Hydride. Motor is 32 Volts. Shawn to put together battery details for an appeal for maker group.
  • Shawn attending Atlanta Maker Faire Sunday, October 5th. Qualifying race is at 11 am October 4th. 3 pm. Heat One skit & road course. 3:30 pm Heat Two. Finale Road course at 4:30 pm Endurance race Sunday 1 pm. Call for volunteers! Shawn needs pit crew for Saturday and Sunday, also needs drivers for Saturday.
  • Also need volunteer staff to man the race. Will be helping out with track setup, race marshalling and race day tasks.
Solar Tour at the Blount County Commune October 4 & 5th. Some makers attending. See new event on Meetup.
David Johnson has submitted his resignation as Treasurer. Vote held for new Treasurer. James Nylen only candidate standing. Has experience with GNUCash, is a financial professional.
Computer Lab 2.0 - Desk construction in progress.

Back Burner

  • Language for standing rules
  • Vaping

Votes

(Secret ballot, counted by Trae)

Mark Gilbert - Yeah 6, Nay - 0, Abstention - 1 Key 29
James Nylen - Yeah 5, Nay - 1, Abstention - 1 Key 28
Treasurer - James Nylen - Yeah 7 - Nay - 0