2014-10-14 Maker meeting

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

Oct 14th, 2014
Started 6:06 pm
FInished 7:21 pm

Location

@ the space, 5502 1st Avenue North, Birmingham, AL

Participants

Shirley Hicks, member
Will Daniels, member
Trae Watson, member
Chris Lais, member
Shawn Pearson, member
JC Porras, member
Russell Holcombe, member (late arrival)
Mykel Alvis, member (late arrival)
Ella Smith, maker

Agenda

  • Upcoming Events
    • Woodlawn HS Dias de los Muertos event on Cornerstone lawn between DISCO & Regions bank, Saturday, November 1 - proposed RMM participation
  • Projects
    • Computer Lab update
    • Fiber Lab update
    • Rear Update
    • LED Brick Matrix update
  • Maker Movie - move next week's maker meeting?
  • Woodlawn Street Market report
  • Terra wars

New

  • Monday nights
  • Approval of amendment to Articles of Incorporation - updated list of directors. James Nylen voted in as Treasurer 2014-09-16..
  • New members up for vote - Celeste Phau
  • Nominations for Lab Hosts - Fiber Lab, Shape Lab, Computer Lab 2.0
  • Cleanliness/usability of Print Lab - what is needed to solve this problem?

Old

  • Lease update
  • Exit signs update
  • Woodlawn Community Fair Oct 11th - report
  • Internet service - switch to Brighthouse cable
    • check at&t - question - are they delivering service as specified contract.
  • Migrating domain - discuss & vote? host
  • Standing rule proposal to make storage drawers $10 each? poll membership results
    • Electrical & exit signage - update


Minutes

  • Projects
    • Computer Lab update
    • Fiber Lab update
    • Rear Update
    • Matrix update
  • Maker Movie move maker meeting?
  • Woodlawn Street Market report
  • Terra Wars

New

  • Upcoming Events
  • Woodlawn HS Dias de los Muertos event on Cornerstone lawn between DISCO & Regions bank, Saturday, November 1 - proposed RMM participation
    • Ella Smith will investigate what times will work for RMM team for event. Will take lead in making arrangements for RMM to participate.
  • Welcome, Ella Smith, new Maker
  • New members up for vote - Celeste Phau
  • The Maker Movie being shown as part of the Sidewalk Film e Series at 7 pm on Tuesday, October 21st at the Red Mountain Theater - discussion panel will include our own Shawn Pearson & Bruce Lanier from MAKEBhm
    • Decisions to move Tuesday October 21st 6 pm Maker Meeting to Wednesday, October 22nd, 6pm. - all in favor
    • Also move Tuesday October 21st 7 pm Microcontroller night to Wednesday, October 22nd 7 pm. - all in favor
  • Nominations for Lab Hosts - Fiber Lab, Shape Lab, Computer Lab 2.0 - not dealt with, pushed to next meeting
  • Cleanliness/usability of Print Lab - what is needed to solve this problem?
    • Bins? Attention to putting things away? Shirley requested that working surfaces be kept clearer so that they can be used for other activites.
  • Monday nights - JC wants to take Linux to once a month. Not getting enough people in the class.
  • Shawn doing a presentation at Samford University on Thursday.
  • RMM committed to a 15 minute presentation + Q& A, to the YMBC, on Monday, November 17th, noon - 1 pm at the Harbert Center. Organizer, Martha Jane Patton, of Alabama Legal Aid. Shirley and Trae presenting.
  • Trae proposed restarting instructable Show n' Tell. No date set.
  • JC proposing a RoverBot - make small rover with Raspberry Pi, as a project suitable for demonstration to public.
  • If we can build two bots - Trae will build a multi-terrain plex-case for the bots to battle on.
  • Trae would like to do less metal, more reusable recyclable materials, for a post-apocalyptic scenario.

Old

  • LED Brick Matrix is working again. Some bad contacts need to be replaced and the frame needs to be re-wedged. There is a so-so surge protector in place. Members requested to unplug when people are not at the space until better surge protection in place.
  • Computer Lab update - Equipment ready to be moved into place
    • Floor needs to be ground and prepared for sealing. Decision made to postpone sealing until expansion done to add a dedicated server space.
    • Will to run new grounded line to the one two-prong outlet.
  • Fiber Lab update - need service for all sewing machines, Shirley to get estimate.
  • Steven Wyss to put new electrical panel in this week?
    • There appeared to be a sewage leak in the rear workshop area.
    • This has to be resolved before any new electrical or drywall goes in.
    • Event management team has been alerted, landlord has been alerted.
  • Lease update - no further progress.
  • Exit signs update - budget maxed at $630.
  • Feedback requested regarding work and management of space so far- no objections from attending membership.
  • Woodlawn Community Fair Oct 11th - report
    • We were well prepared for the event.
    • Shawn and Mykel engaged kids with paper rockets
    • Dave Reeves, Maker, was back (automated rocket man)
    • Had his automated rocket launcher for explanation and display
  • BrightHouse contract signed. Because it is a cable service, we will have no static IPs.
  • What to do about current AT&T service? How do we demonstrate the service drops that we've been experiencing? Demonstration necessary to get out of current contract.
    • Mykel says that running a continuous speed test is difficult to do.
    • JC to get tests documentation. Use the page Trae set up Project:DSL_speed_test to gather reports. All members and makers are asked to run and submit speed tests to this page while at the space, especially if you experience a sudden drop in internet signal speed. Makers and Members should email results to Trae or to JC if they are not comfortable editing wiki pages.
    • DSO reports or SpeedTest.net reports
    • Mykel has asked AT&T to put diagnostics on the line multiple times. Need to rally Woodlawn neighborhood businesses and residents to perform similar speed tests at their locations to document that the problem isn't at individual locations, but is actually AT&T network. Once we have sufficient members trained in gathering data, we will reach out to other organizations so that they can do the same. Data to be gathered on our project page.
    • This is our attempt to find out if AT&T delivering service as specified in contract.

Back Burner

  • Migrating domain - discuss & vote? host
  • Standing rule proposal to make storage drawers $10 each? poll membership results
  • Sound room
  • Photo lab
  • Lab standing rules

Nominations

Votes

Celeste Phau voted in as member 8 yeahs, 0 nays