2014-10-28 maker meeting

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

Wednesday October 28nd
Start: 6pm


Location

@the space, 5502 1st Avenue North, Birmingham, AL

Attending

JC Porras, member
John Rhymes, member
Trae Watson, member
Chris Lais, member
Neil, maker
bruce, maker

Agenda

New

  • Old 3d printer
  • Upcoming Events
  • Projects

old Minutes

    • New Project - Mykel is proposing to build a 5' x 5' x 7' powder coat oven.
  • Time to shift the electrical account for our space over to our name
  • brighthouse cable internet connection being set up
  • exit signs are to be completed by the electrician this week
  • leak in pipe in rear room floor.
  • no more trash in dumpster until Tuesday, October 28th

Old

  • Upcoming Events
    • Woodlawn HS Dias de los Muertos event on Cornerstone lawn between DISCO & Regions bank, Saturday, November 1 - proposed RMM participation
  • Projects
    • Computer Lab update
    • Fiber Lab update
    • Rear Update
  • Maker Movie report
  • Request for nominations for Lab Hosts - Fiber Lab, Shape Lab, Computer Lab 2.0 - until November 1st.
    • New project - Mykel is proposing to build a 5' x 5' x 7' powder coat oven, in addition to a portable paint booth. Likely to take 3 - 4 months, once rear workshop space is usable.
  • Electrical in our name
    • Time to set up the account in our name. Will require deposit equivalent to two months estimated usage.
    • Set up approved by membership present at meeting.
  • Insurance and city fire code compliance - new exit signs installed, just have to be connected. Final connections to be done by Myles the electrician.
    • Membership present approved the purchase of new fire extinguishers for the space.
  • Internet connection from Brighthouse Cable being set up.
  • leak in pipe in rear room floor.
    • Trae and Mykel have attempted to contact the landlord multiple times for help dealing with this. No response.
    • The concern is that the leak is causing the floor to swell. Mykel to get silicon tape to re-tape until landlord makes repairs. *work day thursday?
  • No more trash in dumpster until Tuesday, October 28th - we've filled it with plaster debris.
    • Woodlawn HS Dias de los Muertos event on Cornerstone lawn between DISCO & Regions bank, Saturday, November 1 - proposed RMM participation.
    • Ella Smith is organizing RMM's participation, which will most likely involve showing The Clever Girl, with her chase T-rex, Alison. Ella is looking for assistance with the project, which will either involve dressing Alison for the festival or creating new themed add-on of some sort. Skills needed (or that can be explored) - art, paper mache, sewing(?) Shoot her an email if you are available and interested in helping. This will involve working with community kids.
  • Maker Movie report
    • As part of Birmingham's Design Week & Sidewalk Film Festival's eSeries, MAKER – the Movie was shown at the Red Mountain Theater Caberet space in the basement of Kress building, at 301 19th Street North.
    • Was a good movie - covered the different types of maker spaces, from educational, to the commercial TechShop, to biolabs.
    • Attendance was light - about 30 people.
    • Our own Shawn Peterson was a panelist, along with Bruce Lanier from MAKEBham, and Joe Birdwell from Montgomery's Foomatic space.
    • All who went enjoyed the movie.
  • Exit signs are to be completed by the electrician this week.
  • Cost of materials to deal with current electrical circuit issues (to ensure adequate supply) - est $2,000.00.
  • Nominations for Lab Hosts - Fiber Lab, Shape Lab, Computer Lab 2.0
    • No nominations received to date. Vote to be held during first week of November.

Back Burner

  • Sound room
  • photo lab
  • lab standing rules

minutes

  • JC ask for assist in completing the led matrix, john and neil will assist on Tuesday nights on microcontroller.
  • Trae mentioned the deadline for the insurance company which is november 5th, compliance for exit signs, which was done last week. It has been very hard to get with the landlord about the lease.
  • Trae is asking for makers to come 4-6pm everyday leading up to sunday.
  • Clearing the hallways is a priority, thursday, take the computers casing to technical knockout.
  • Bright House is installing the internet on tomorrow October 29th from 2pm-4pm. Call to any maker to be at the location with key to install the service. Install of modem on computer lab.
  • Chris is making a list for parts to fix the old 3d printer.
  • JC mentioned about moving the items from rooms to keep room availability to members. Trae mentioned it is not priority, it maybe moved last.
  • John got the library into data and needs to upload it to the wiki, any help from other makers would help, John will get with James on it.
  • Trae wanted to relay from Rick to pickup photo equipment from his father.
  • Celeste has already some of the equipment, we want to take a look at the equipment.
  • Rick has scoped an RFID to order, touch bases on opinions on it, get with Rick.
  • Bruce brought maker faire material.

Votes