2014-12-10 Maker Meeting

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

Wednesday, December 10th, 2014, 6 pm
Started 6:05 pm
Finished: 7:58 pm

Location

@ the space, 5502 1st Avenue North, Birmingham, AL

Participants

Trae Watson, member
Shirley Hicks, member
Russell Holcombe, member
Shawn Holcombe, member
Lynnette Pope, maker

Agenda

  • Upcoming Events
  • Projects


New

  • Approval of last meeting's minutes 2014-12-02 makers meeting
  • Community outreach update
  • UAB outreach update
  • Formation of Grants & Funding Committee
  • Standing rule proposal: <no wiki>##this rule is intended to prevent mice access to food in the space.<no wiki/>
    • All food be kept in rigid containers such as metal, glass, or hard plastic containers.
    • No storage in Soft containers nor abandonment of opened food outside of the fridge.
  • Lab Host Positions
1 month positions
  1. Proposed Lab Host job description:
    • The Lab Host is responsible for, and may delegate at will, the Print Lab's cleanliness, equipment maintenance, user coordination and education.
    • The Lab Host will ensure the cleanliness of the lab is kept.
    • The Lab Host will ensure maintenance of equipment in the Lab;
    • The Lab Host will coordinate and educate users on maintaining, cleaning, and using equipment themselves as it serves their needs.
    • In the event that equipment migrates to another lab the Lab host will continue to service over said equipment until a lab host is established for the new lab in question.
    • In the event that users of the lab desire to organize, the Lab Host will coordinate and chair those organizational meetings based upon the usage of the lab and its equipment and will represent the committee in financial requests to the board and membership as needed.
    • The Lab Host will maintain access to resources for user education.
    • Lab host insures equipment information including maintenance is being kept up to date.
  • Computer Lab Amendment (Chris Lais nominated)
This was from the original print lab host position and is now being specified to the computer lab.
    • The Computer Lab Host will provide Network assistance to Makers in the event of Network failure, within the specifications set forth by the Chief of Tech.
    • Fiber lab (celeste nominated)
    • Meeting Room (jc nominated)
    • The meeting room Host will provide Receiving assistance for items donated to the space to carry responsability over to the oappropriate lab hosts.

Old

  • City business license application for 2014 competed. Cost $200. Need to do 2015 one between December 15 & Dec. 30th. Will be another $200. Details of how to complete are on Business License page.
  • 501(3)c application submitted. Cost $400. Shirley has paid, will need to be compensated at some point.
  • ADT security system installation and monthly service costs - Installation special of $249 available for December. Monthly maintenance cost going forward will be $57.19.
  • Fire inspection will be done by City of Birmingham Fire Department on Thursday, December 11th at 2 pm. (Velochicdunord (talk) 15:40, 11 December 2014 (PST) - We passed)
  • Fiber Lab - Equipment maintenance update
  • BOSS Hackathon - estimated attendance will be beyond our capacity. David Wilkens is talking to other city venues.
  • Business plan, program documentation update
  • Lab host vote. Nominations made at December 2 meeting

Back Burner

Minutes

New

  • Approval of last meeting's minutes 2014-12-02 makers meeting -
  • 501(3)c application submitted. Cost $400. Shirley has paid, will need to be compensated at some point. Voted to pay Shirley back when funds available.
  • Community outreach update - I
    • Lynnette suggested that we create a 8.5x11 pdf that can be easily emailed and printed outreach.
    • Lynnette purchased an ad in the Magic City Choral Society program. We should see feedback after December 18-21st.
    • Will take more posters to concert.
  • UAB outreach update - we're taking to UAB's engineering department. Hopefully that will be a productive relationship.
  • Formation of Grants & Funding Committee
  • Three members and makers are going to start finding the funds necessary to support growing our capabilities. They have offered to research available grants and start developing fundraising connections with the greater community.
    • John Rhymes, member
    • Steven Wyss, member
    • Lynnette Pope, maker
  • Discussion about CoderDojo, splitting the call for interest for kids over to a future chapter. Shirley to start building email list to gauge interest for group.
  • Next maker meeting - Sunday, December 21, 6 pm. We will move the maker meeting back to Sunday nights in an effort to increase attendance. 4 voted in concensus
  • Standing rule re food passed.
    • All in favor
  • Add a "volunteer of the week" rota to the automated agenda?
  • A big thank you to Stephen Charles for the Shape Lab cleanup. He did a good job - members are encouraged to work together to keep the Shape Lab tidy.
  • Lab host position - try out for a month through end of Janaury? See how it works. Then go to a three-month to six month rota.

Old

  • City business license application for 2014 competed. Cost $200. Need to do 2015 one between December 15 & Dec. 30th. Will be another $200. This will be a recurring annual expense every December going forward.
  • ADT security system installation and monthly service costs. $249 installation, $57.19/month monitoring.
    • No decision to be made until we have a lease signed with our landlord. We need to know that we are staying here before spending the money.
  • Fire inspection update. Scheduled for Thursday 2 pm., with a followup to inspect any needed fixes for Friday at 2 pm. Trae will meet the inspector.
    • Shirley will cover Friday 2 pm if necessary.
  • Fiber Lab - White overlock serger has been repaired and is now back in the lab.
  • Shirley proposed developing a website community supporter page to acknowledge support received from community organizations. This was prompted by a desire to recognize Homewood Sewing Mart for giving RMM a 25% discount on the serger maintenance. We will receive this discount for any additional maintenance and repair work needed on RMM sewing equipment going forward. Other members present agreed that this would be a good idea.
  • BOSS Hackathon - estimated attendance will be beyond our capacity. David Wilkens is talking to other city venues, mainly UAB's Edge of Chaos. So, no BOSS hackathon at our space in January 2015.
  • Business plan, program documentation update - still needs to be updated. Shirley has requested information from membership regarding what tech education is going on at schools in their areas. This information is proving difficult to pull together. Financial update must wait until after James N. completes our first year end.
  • Inventions Studio - Russell reviewed their wiki documentation. There is some language we can borrow, but not a lot. We have a more structured wiki.
  • Reminder - Barber Motorsport [Stratasys] 3D printer event tomorrow.
  • Lab host vote. Nominations made at December 2 meeting

Nominations

Lynnette Pope for key-holding membership.
Lynnette has thrown herself into the group, taking an active role in our 501(3)c application, and is taking a lead role in sourcing grants and our future fundraising efforts. She purchased an ad for us in the Magic City Choral Society program. Lynnette brings a strong IT background in the telecommunications industry, and is very interested in outreach to youth. She is interested in electronics, circuits, Fiber Lab and wearables (sewing).

Votes

Minutes from December 2, 2014 approved. All yeah (3), no nay.
Celeste Phau - Fiber Lab host - All yeah (3), no nay
Chris Lais - Printer Lab host - All yeah (3), no nay
JC Porras - Meeting Room host - All yeah (3), no nay
Nominate Lynnette Pope for membership - Shirley nominated, Trae seconded