2015-02-08 Annual General Meeting

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

Started 6:10 pm
Ended 7:34 pm

Location

@theSpace, 5502 1st Avenue North, Birmingham, AL

Participants

Kurt Fattig, member
Mark Gilbert, member
Shirley Hicks, member
Russell Holcombe, member
Nicole Jordan, member
Chris Lais, member
Seth Lewis, member
Stef Mankachy, member
James Nylen, member
Shawn Pearson, member
Celeste Phau, member
Lynette Pope, member
John Rhymes, member
Jarrett Vance, member
Trae Watson, member
Steven Wyss, member
Visitors:
Mark Garfinkel
Bob Montgomery
\*Some members arrived after the start of the meeting.

Agenda

  • Upcoming events
    • March 7th - Central Alabama Regional Science Fair
    • March 14th - Young Women's Empowerment Conference
    • Beadaplooza - Helena bead show & sale, March 14th & 15th
  • projects

New

  • State of RMM
    • Opening Statement: Chair
    • 2014 Financial Report: Treasurer
    • 2015 Budget: Business Admin
  • Discussion of plans for 2015
    • Proposals: see Discussion page
      • Mission Statement
      • $15 household discount,
      • Instructor stipend,
      • RMM pass to Makerspace developer
      • RMM Adviser Circle,
      • Security admin position
        • Creation & nomination
  • Board & task lead election
    • Nominations:
    • Votes

Old

Proposed policies (up for vote):

Minutes

Upcoming Events

  • March 7th - Central Alabama Regional Science Fair - need booth peeps (both genders)
  • March 14th - Young Women's Empowerment Conference - need booth peeps (female)
  • Beadaplooza - Helena bead show & sale, March 14th & 15th - need booth peeps, promotional materials.

Projects

  • Steven Wyss - gavel for use at RMM meetings
  • 3D printed clock - James Nylen & Jarrett Vance
  • Mark Gilbert - bringing in student-designed and built tornado machine for a demo.
  • 3D LED cube - Lynette Pope & Steven Wyss
    • LEDs are shipped, should be arriving soon, will be assembling over the next few weeks.
  • Celeste - thought board outside the Fiber Lab to gather input as to direction of theSpace.
    • Please contribute.
    • REV Birmingham installation - Celeste invites member input, assistance and feedback.
    • According to REV Birmingham, will be 2nd week in March. Exact dates to follow.

New

State of RMM

  • Opening Statement: Chair
  • Thanks to RMM members for work done this past year.
    • Shawn for PR efforts.
    • James for taking over the treasurer's role. (a very important job)
    • Chris for computer, 3D & 2D printer and network stuff
    • Russell Holcombe for construction tasks, development of equipment documentation and beginnings of safety program.
    • Mykel Alvis for identifying when we're wrong (an important role!)
    • Shirley Hicks for business plan, finding insurance, getting necessary systems in place, forms drafted, applications submitted and beginning to set up supplier and vendor arrangements.
  • 2014 Financial Report: Treasurer
    • See Annual Report. Through careful management, we finished 2014 with a surplus of $190.
    • We are now self-sustaining. With careful management, we can acquire additional equipment and begin building operational reserves.
    • We received around $5,000 in donated materials over the year.
  • 2015 Budget: Business Admin
    • 2015 budget projections as presented in Annual Report still need to be revised from original projections included in business plan.
    • A lot will depend on how many classes are running within the space and our membership growth.
  • Discussion of plans for 2015
    • Shawn - Discussion of Circuit Lab 2.0 prep.
      • Proposal to close off a portion of the temporary Shape Lab and move the Circuits Lab up to front next to meeting room.
      • This would allow people to see things in action within the Circuits Lab, while providing some sound buffering between the Shape Lab and the meeting room (has been a problem).
      • Would require reconstructing one dividing wall, construction of workbenches, and then painting the space white to maximize available light.
    • Stephanie - Bio Lab.
      • Ceiling reconstructed, and one wall taken out to open up space. Planning to close off one door.
    • Shop cleanliness and organization has been a problem. Membership recognizes this.
      • Need a shop boss, make establish habits a priority
      • Shirley talked about practices followed by other makerspaces.
      • JC - Recommendation to use 5S system. JC has experience with this - it works well.
      • Seth - recommended cleanup sprints, process oriented.
      • Steph - set obligatory weekly clean-up time.
      • Proposal - set cleaning schedule for bathrooms and kitchen, 2 people per month to take responsibility, on rotation.
        • Work out details at next space meeting.

Proposals: see Discussion page

  • Mission Statement
    • Change to existing mission statement to reflect emphasis on co-operative operation of the makerspace, and to reflect that we are a technical workshop.
    • Motion in favor - John Rhymes. Seconded by Kurt Fattig. All in favor, none opposed.
  • $15 live-in family member discount proposed for each additional family member who joins a key-holding member as an RMM maker or key-holding member.
    • Purpose is to encourage family activities and social activities at the space.
    • Also reflects that the total cost of membership could become high for members with larger families.
    • Example: $50/month key-holding member could add a maker membership for $20 - $15 = $5/month, or a second key-holder for $35 - $15 = $20/month.
    • Steven Wyss motioned, Seth Lewis seconded. 9 members voted in favor.
  • Instructor stipend - decision to try out for six months and then revisit.
    • Would be paid out for 4 newcomers who become RMM makers as a result of the class, or for having 10 enrollees.
    • $35 stipend, + $35 delegated to Lab budget of choice
    • Decision on this because membership felt that it needed more work to clarify requirements and mechanics.
    • Proposal mentioned allocating a sum to a lab budget of the instructor's choice.
    • RMM has not yet established individual lab budgets.
    • Tabled.
  • Grant Makerspace grant
    • As John explained it, this would be a funded scholarship for educators involved in starting makerspaces. Funds coming from an anonymous donor.
    • Half price membership available to those educators who are establishing makerspaces at their schools
    • Good opportunity for publicity
    • Motioned by Steven, seconded by Mark.
    • All present (13) in favor, none opposed.
  • RMM Advisor Circle
    • Key points:
      • Members of Advisory Circle do not have decision making power over the group.
      • Board members may not be members of the Advisory Circle and vica versa.
      • Members of the Advisory Circle can be RMM members, but will often be outside members of other regional groups or professionals.
      • They are to serve as advisors and sources of wisdom, advice and expertise for the Board.
    • Admin Security admin position
      • Decision made to create the position and move forward on securing space.
      • Steven Wyss has taken lead in researching and pricing passcard perimeter security system.
      • Steven Wyss nominated for position by Shirley, second by Lynette.
  • Board elections:
    • Member selected to count votes - Lynette Pope.
      • Board Member at Large: JC in 12, one abstention
      • Vice Chair: Shawn voted in 12 yes, one abstention
      • Chair: Trae - voted in 13 yes , one abstention
  • Lead roles:
    • Member selected to count votes - Lynette Pope.
      • Tech Admin: James - voted in 13 yes, one abstention
      • Web Admin: Ann - withdrawn - will follow up in next meeting
      • Security Admin: Steven - voted in 13 yes, one abstention
      • Business Admin: Shirley - voted in 13 yes, one abstention
      • Safety Admin: Russell - voted in 13 yes.

Old

Proposed anti-harrassment and anti-descriminitation policies

  • Language for these policies was originally researched last August. Found some examples, but needed further work to meet membership approval.
    • That's been done. Now that we are starting to work with other community groups, expand membership and apply for grants, we need to have policies in place.
  • Proposed Anti-discrimination language.
    • Discussion - request to add political affiliation, not limited to membership. Change made.
    • Motion to adopt put forward by Lynette, seconded by Shawn.
    • All in favor (13), none(0) opposed.

Votes

  • mission statement language change
    • Motion in favor by John Rhymes. Seconded by Kurt Fattig. All (13) in favor, none (0) opposed. Adopted.
  • $15 household discount proposed on membership fee
    • Steven Wyss motioned to adopt, Seth Lewis seconded. 9 voted yes, 4 opposed. Adopted.
  • Grant Makerspace grant
    • Motion for approval by Steven, seconded by Mark. All present (13) in favor, none opposed. Adopted. Donation to be accepted, scholarship put in place.
  • Proposed Anti-harassment policy.
    • Motion to adopt put forward by Russell, seconded by Jarrett.
      • 13 in favor, none opposed.
  • Proposed Anti-discrimination policy.
    • Motion to adopt put forward by Lynette, seconded by Shawn.
    • All in favor (13), none(0) opposed.
  • Board elections:
    • Member selected to count votes - Lynette Pope.
    • Board Position votes:
      • Board Member at Large: One member, JC Porras, standing. All in favor (13), one abstention*
      • Vice Chair: One member, Shawn Pearson, standing. All in favor (13), one abstention
      • Chair: One member, Trae Watson, standing. All in favor (13), one abstention
    • RMM task lead nominations
      • Tech Admin: One member, James Nylen, standing. All in favor (13), one abstention*
      • Web Admin: Member Ann Caperton nominated, but withdrew. To be followed up at next space meeting.
      • Security Admin: One member, Steven Wyss, standing. All in favor (13), one abstention
      • Business Admin: One member, Shirley Hicks, standing. All in favor (13), one abstention
      • Safety Admin: One member, Russell Holcombe standing. All in favor (13), one abstention

\*In all cases, the abstention was the nominated member