2015-03-08 Maker meeting

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

Weekly maker meeting
Meeting started: 6:04 pm
Meeting adjourned: 7:07 pm

Location

RMM 5502 1st ave N Birmingham, AL 35212

Participants

Lynette Pope, member
John Rhymes, member
JC Porras, member
Chris Lais, member
Steven Wyss, member
Shirley Hicks, member
Mark Gilbert, member
Shawn Pearson, member
Bruce Willey, maker
Chris McNair, maker

Maker Meeting Agenda

Old

New

Upcoming events

Projects

  • asbestos testing

Proposals

  • trae requests to move maker and board meetings an hour later because of later day light

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • biolab
  • communal space host
    • new communal space host
  • computer lab
  • circuits lab
  • fiber lab
  • meeting room
  • print lab
  • Shape lab

Nominations

Votes

  • For Key holding membership:
    • Richard Morgan
    • Daniel Near

Closing announcements

  • meeting adjourned till next week 6pm


floor is now open for project discussion, and RMM tours

Back Burner

Votes

Minutes

Old

  • 2015-03-01_Maker_meeting#Minutes - approved
  • Review of events
    • Science Fair
      • Steven got us a booth location at the science fair. We were the only outside organization there.
      • Lynette & JC acted as judges for maker-related projects.
      • John and Shirley manned booth.
      • JC recommended that we add display kits to current show kit.
      • Nine categories x Junior & Senior categories
      • 4 Intel awards
      • Judges met at 8 am.
        • Lynette also judged the physical science Junior division.
      • Kids came in after one hour.
      • 320 kids competing.
      • Smallest list of no-shows ever.
      • Lynette printed out three certificates that were awesome. Shirley requested that a copy of file be added to the document files on RMM's Google Drive for future use.
      • Russell showed up with Power Wheels
      • Shirley prepared promotional coupons as approved at last maker meeting.
      • Lynette presented the RMM awards. Good speaker - does presentations well.
        • 3rd place winner - solar cell for foreign countries
        • 2nd place - levitation of 5 lb brick with magnets
        • 1st place - glove with red and green LEDs for directing traffic. 10th grade student very interested and excited to receive award. Saw a traffic direction problem and solved it.
      • Steven Wyss - said that the kids were hearing about us - they plan to come down.
  • Show and Tell
    • We had five people out, talking about projects.
    • We will do this again next month.
  • Power Wheels
    • Shawn reports that four people came to the first meeting
    • Reviewed batteries and structural issues. Plan to lighten the car and get more speed out of it.
    • Will reengineer frame using carbon fiber and a PLA core.
    • Shirley suggested that we use the Auburn model of braiding carbon fiber and molding around a PVC core.
    • Some discussion of different techniques.
    • Mark mentioned that the carbon fiber resin will destroy latex gloves, Shawn mentioned that nitrile gloves work better.
    • Ventilation will need to be improved to handle fumes.

New

Upcoming events

Young Woman's Empowerment Conference, March 14th
  • Shirley, Mark G. & Lynette will take the RMM show kit to the Conference.
  • Directions and location TBD.
Woodlawn Street Market, April 11th

Projects

  • Asbestos testing
    • As per emails, Steph and a few volunteers removed tiles a month ago.
    • Marvin Smith, contractor commented that he thought that the tiles had asbestos
    • Lynette Pope alerted group that it may have been in the adhesive as well, would be wise to test before removing additional tiles.
    • Home Depot has a test kit - takes a month to get a test back.
    • Steph is researching testing facilities in the city
    • Trae checked with microscope - microscope is old and broken, no clear results.
    • Trae has added a HEPA air filter to the Fiber Lab..
    • Shirley will bring in a second HEPA filter for use in the computer lab.
    • Lynette to get samples.

Proposals

  • trae requests to move maker and board meetings an hour later because of later day light
    • members present suggested leaving it at current time.

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • biolab
    • Richard Morgan installing shelving in the biolab like a maniac. He works fast.
  • communal space host
    • new communal space host role
    • jurisdiction over hallways, bathrooms and kitchen.
    • Knox cleaned kitchen last week.
    • Debris in hallways, needs to be cleaned up.
    • Steven on bathroom patrol.
      • We need "specialty trash cans" for bathrooms
      • Toilet seats to stay down, and wipe down any sprinkles.
  • computer lab
    • Iron 3D Printr is out of commission - needs a power supply.
    • PLA moisture problems? Need better long term storage.
    • Russell installed a new door on the lab, needs a door knob and lock mechanism
    • Needs to be cleaned
  • circuits lab
    • Shawn to start moving stuff
    • Shirley to start sorting and binning
    • Steven - circuit lab proposal clean out hackzone and make a circuits lab
    • JC - proposal to put down floor boards in mezzanine - and move monitors up to the attic.
    • Shirley to demolish shelves.
    • JC, Steven and Shawn to get a new ladder usable in that area.
    • Goal is to clear monitors from hack zone on right of the space.
Fiber Lab - no updates.
Meeting Room
  • JC and Lynette cleaned the room - it's awesome
Print lab
  • Functioning computer and barcode scanner.
  • Two screens, two mice.
  • James has the replacement drum for LaserJet
  • Seth Lewis wants to work on a library system
Shape Lab
  • Shawn cleaned it up the other day.
  • Add large 10" disk sander.


Nominations

    • Jeffery PItts nominated for keyholding membership by Trae, second by Shawn.

Votes

  • For Key holding membership:
    • Richard Morgan - has been working on the biolab like a tazmanian devil & micro controller projects. All in favor. One abstention.
    • Daniel Near - from Tampa and the St. Pete's hacker space. Commuting every two weeks. All in favor.
    • Jeffery Pitts nominated for keyholding membership - trae, second by Shawn.

Closing announcements

  • meeting adjourned till next week 6pm


floor is now open for project discussion, and RMM tours