2015-03-15 Maker meeting

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

Sunday March 15th, 2015
Meeting started: 6 pm
Meeting adjourned: 7:09pm

Location

In the park just east of the Red Mountain Makers space 5502 1st ave N Birmingham, AL 35212

Participants

Trae Watson, member
Celeste Phau, member - meeting chair
Chris Lais, member
J.C. Porras, member
Shirley Hicks, member
Danel Near, member - took minutes for meeting
Lynette Pope, member (late arrival)
Shawn Pearson, member (late arrival)

Maker Meeting Agenda

Old

Review previous minutes

Events Report

New

Upcoming events

  • Woodlawn street fair (April 11th)
  • Trae may run a wiki and blog workshop again
  • WordCamp event in Atlanta, March 27 - 29.

Projects

Proposals

General discussion

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • Bio Lab
  • Computer Lab
  • Circuits Lab
  • Fiber La
  • Meeting Room
  • Print Lab
  • Shape Lab

Nominations

votes

Closing announcements

Back Burner

Minutes

Old

Unable to review previous minutes due to lack of internet connection. Postponed until next meeting.

Events Report

  • Young Women's Empowerment Conference
    • Lynette, Mark and Shirley went to an event as RMM and spoke with 20 young women about RMM, makerspaces, the career opportunities in technology, and wearable tech. Results were mixed; many attendees had not had prior exposure to the maker community.
    • Lynette met someone from the Birmingham Botanical Gardens who may be a good collaborator.
    • Shirley talked to two local Girl Scout leaders who were also staffing a booth. Will follow-up to make arrangements for future space field trips, events and badge testers.

New

Upcoming events

  • Woodlawn street fair (April 11th), all booths sold out. Celeste has a booth and offered to let us share the booth. Shirley suggested we have RMM open and encourage people to come and visit during the fair.
  • Trae may run a wiki and blog workshop again next week, as well as increase show and tell to twice a month.
  • Shirley will be talking to Dean Alexander at UAB's Engineering School about planning a series of community talks on makerspace activities for the fall.
  • Celeste thinks there is interest in people attending the art events held in the past. But she may need help in managing the event on Thursdays. JC has the Linux class once a month and Trae wants to do the WIKI event twice a month, so maybe do the arts event on the open Monday(?)
  • March Cyber-crime panel Monday, JC noted the last day to register is the 20th. Tech Birmingham cyber crime, cyber security, etc. Trae suggested to post it as a meetup event (done).
  • WordCamp event in Atlanta, March 27 - 29. This event is in 2 weeks. Main events sold out - only Friday Beginner event still open.

Projects

No new projects discussed.

Proposals

  • Celeste spoke with Trae and another maker Jeffrey, who is interested in a bringing a kiln to the Makespace. Manual kiln is about 3x3x4 for a bout $600. Automated system cost several thousands. Need to research the code implications (Fire safety, MSDS, etc)
  • Trae ordered an asbestos test kit. We have not successfully located a contractor for the floor repairs. Shirley is going to check through Angies list.
  • Trae contacted Kevin, the realtor, who is handling the possible space rental from UAB. UAB values the location more as a parking lot and is likely tear down the buildings to clear the space for future development. We would only be able to rent the building month-to-month.. Steven Wyss will continue to work to find next location. In the mean time, we can work with the space we have for up to two years.
    • Celeste wants to talk to the Cornerstone school about adding a picnic table to the lawn (parkette west of the RMM space is their property).

General discussion

Trae said that Bibb and Tucker is on a month to month rental agreement with their new space - are not paying full market rate. Their landlord may have a tenant lined up willing to pay market rate. Need to keep in touch with them as they may need space. Possibility for future collaboration?

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • Bio Lab
    • Steph: request to move forward with floor grinding (necessary to lift the old tile adhesive off of the base concrete floor). Trae got 2 pieces of tile from the current Bio Lab floor and 1 from Bill Hudson's house (known to have asbestos tiles) to compare. There is a slight chance the linoleum in the rear future workshop space has asbestos. The front location doesn’t appear to have fibers. The sample from Bill Hudson's house has visible fibers. Mail order test kit will arrive on the 24th. Looking at locations in town to test and return results faster than the one month possible via the mail-in kit. Grinding method does not produce dust but results in a mud that needed to be disposed of - no airborne particles. Suggest that we continue ahead without waiting for test kit.
  • Computer Lab
    • J.C. to reorganize the computer lab. Clear working space is more valuable than a bunch of non-working computers.
    • The wireless is not accessible from the lawn. Celeste wants to communicate with Cornerstone about adding a picnic table to the lawn.
    • There is a disassembled shelf in the member storage area - use for ABS/PLA spools storage? Trae says it isn't needed as spools currently stored in drawer units under bench on whiteboard side of lab. JC suggested remove the non-functional PCs from the room so that it can become a multi-purpose room. The space is reaching a point where there is more members then available “Bench space” for general activities. By removing non-functional PCs, there will be additional room, a quiet space for these activities.
  • Circuits Lab
    • About half the items in the circuits lab are binned. Need additional knowledgable help making keep/scrap decisions. Many items were binned and temporarily located to Hack Zone 2 in the back. Need larger storage for power supplies and paper boxes for other storage purposes. Shirley requested 10 ream box size. She also suggesed wire metro shelving, but it s not cheap. (Metro is a brand of multi-purrpose wire shelves).
    • Celeste is in touch people interested in darkroom photography. Wants to bring them in once the circuits lab is empty so they will be interested in becoming members and taking over this area. Trae got Technical Knockout cell number - $25 for scrap pickup (worthwhile). May be able to make money for circuit disposal. Suggest having people mark the parts that people believe are worthy of keeping.
  • Fiber Lab
    • Celeste and Beck transformed the space last night. It is usable and well improved.
  • Meeting Room
    • J.C. and Shawn and Shirley commented their keys are not functioning well, it appears the lock may have been jimmied. Security issue developing. Shirley suggested that we finish installing security, as per the estimate last December (Steven Wyss got quotes in December). Mid to end of may, the area will be higher risk due to high school students not being in school (idle hands). Trae suggested changing the wooden doors leading to the meeting room to metal doors, as a deterrent.
    • Raspberry Pi cash pool pending - need to finish collecting funds from those who committed last week.
  • Print Lab
    • Seth compiling a list of books to get and books to dispose of. Make a proposal of books to purchase by RMM. Color laser printer drums are coming (James).
  • Shape Lab
    • Need to make improvements to the Shape Lab for safety and usability.
    • Shirley suggested getting pegboard from the member room. Print tool hangers or utilize ones we already have. Hang the tools near where they are likely to be used.
    • Band saw is too high for safe use. May want to make a lower shelf to mount it to.
    • Birmingham Lock and Safe to look at the safe for possible trade for 2 smaller safes. 1 for keys, 1 for member records. In the office area in the library.

Build or make cardboard drawers to use the desk with all of the storage slots.

  • Permanent Shape Lab renovation
    • Shawn has someone to quote on the floor in the back. He will try to get a quote by next week. If we can lift the floor, the crew can put the floor down. Bill Hudson offered to supervise job for free (limited as to how much he can physically do). Landlord purchased 4 2 x 6 lolli columns for the floor project. Suggest a time, get landlord to supply equipment and we will have people come to do the work. Bham is apparently not strict about code for floor corrections.

Nominations

No nominations this week.

votes

Closing announcements

  • meeting adjourned till next week 6pm

Back Burner