2015-04-19 Maker Meet

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

Weekly maker meeting

Start: 6:11 pm
Finish: 7:29 pm
Meeting adjourned till next week 6 pm

Location

RMM 5502 1st ave N Birmingham, AL 35212

Participants

Shirley Hicks, member
JC Porras, member
Steven Wyss, member
Chris Lais, member
John Rhymes, member
Trae Watson, member

Old

  • Review of previous minutes 2015-04-12 Maker Meet
  • Review of events
  • Educator grant update
    • Mailing status
  • Vestavia Library Foundation

New

  • Vestavia Chamber of Commerce

Upcoming events

Projects

  • Member pictures
  • Movable storage
    • Wheels are ordered, will be here next time next week.

Proposals

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • biolab
  • computer lab
  • circuits lab
    • Need to update outlets
    • Call for nominations for Circuits Lab host
  • fiber lab
  • meeting room
  • print lab
  • Shape lab
  • Maintenance Room
  • Communal space

Nominations

votes

Closing announcements

Back Burner

Minutes

New

  • Membership director for Vestavia Chamber of Commerce was keenly interested in getting RMM to join.
    • Steven Wyss thinks it is a good idea, as it will make it easier to connect with potential commercial and industrial sponsors and supporters.
    • dues $100/year. Steven and Lynette are willing to front funds. Vote to be taken next week.
  • We should also join the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce.
    • Need to find out what the dues are.

Old

  • Educator grant update
    • Mailing status - Shirley and Andrew Clifton have put in significant time building a regional school and library mailing list. Goal is to use get a mailing out this week to coincide with web and media promotion.

Review of events

  • Vestavia Library Foundation
    • Steven Wyss attended their Thursday April 16th visioning exercise at the Library in the Forest.
    • Have hired a staff person to figure out how to build out their makerspace.
  • BarCamp - John R., Lynette Pope, Mykel Alvis, Ann Capteton attended.
    • Attendance was a bit light
    • Lynette Pope talked about RMM.
    • Daxko has a really nice workspace - John borrowed a few ideas (open shelving, rolling whiteboards).
    • www.magiccitytech.org - Slack channel to connect all groups
    • Topics:
      • Machine learning with Python
      • Ionic.js
      • ES6.js and you
      • Thinking like a tester
      • What about podcasting?
      • WordPress API - an intro
      • How to do Birmingham tech better
      • Design for non-designers
      • Dockerize all the things
      • Please stop sucking at building stuff (Mykel's presentation)
      • What I learned about project management doing the ADDYs (Ann Caperton's presentation)
      • Balancing desirability, feasibility & viability with product owner teams
      • Go Go Gadget Bag - every day carry for the modern project manager
      • Skinning your users - better products through humanized user stories
      • Journalism in the digital age
      • Getting shit done - personal workflow, accountability, methods, and tools
      • Future of BarCamp and IPSA.
      • Shirley said that we should be ready to do a solid presentation next year.
  • Trae attended the Birmingham Beehive Design Collective event
    • Involved with doing a Sand Mountain Seed Bank
    • Alice Evans, group director, will come by RMM at some point to talk about their group database needs.
  • Trae to do a joint presentation with Daniel Near about makerspaces and hackerspaces across America. Trae visited many on his trip across the southern United States.
    • Date to be finalized.
  • Trae presented artwork by the Beehive Design Collective.

Upcoming events

Projects

  • Member pictures
    • Shirley proposed building out an informal member gallery a la signed polaroids to make it easier to get to know other members.
  • Movable storage
    • Wheels are ordered for the cabinets being pulled out of the rooms, will be here Sunday next week.

Proposals

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • biolab
    • Work continues
  • computer lab
    • no changes
  • circuits lab
    • Need to update outlets - Steven will bring 3-prong outlets from home
    • Call for nominations for Circuits Lab host - if you are interested, we need one.
  • fiber lab
    • No updates
  • meeting room
    • Kurt donated the routing switch needed to connect the Raspberry Pis to the space network.
    • Chris fixed a screen.
    • Two work stations now working
  • print lab
    • No changes
  • Shape lab
    • no changes
  • Maintenance Room
    • Shirley purchased more paper towel from Costco
  • Communal space - bathrooms need cleaning. Please initial maintenance sheets on the back of bathroom doors when done.
  • West side of space drain issue (Maintenance room, bio lab)
    • Steven Wyss recommends a company that he has dealt with - Steven's Plumbing (not related)
    • Steven Wyss is willing to put the money up to deal with the problem sooner rather than later.
    • Shirley, John & JC will help out with money as required. We need to get the drains scoped to ensure that there are any additional problems - should be done before renovations are much further along.
  • Steven has a contractor who is willing to donate the installation of the floor. Definitely materials, possibly labor,
    • Will be out this week.
  • Steven has located a roll top door that will be donated by a salvage company.
    • Also got an estimate for installation from a different contractor.
    • Possibility of discounted installation.
  • Back right-hand door off the east hallway is letting in water when it's raining heavily. Needs to be sandbagged.
  • Shirley is starting a [Women Who Code] chapter - would like to use RMM meeting room on Mondays once a month for initial meetings.
  • JC moving Linux to Tuesdays in the Computer Lab so that the Linux group can focus on projects.
    • noisy Shape Lab equipment should _not_ be run during the class.
  • Steven - CORD has an student group that Lynette is working with.
    • Would like to get the kids down to the space.
    • Trae asked that we ensure that guardians/parents sign off on liability waivers and that there be some parents present.

Closing announcement

Votes