2015-04-26 Board meet

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

Started 5:17 pm
Finished:5:56 pm

Location

RMM 5502 1st ave N Birmingham, AL 35212

Participants

Shirley Hicks, secretary
Trae Watson, chair
JC Porras, member-at-large
Chris Lais, member-at-large
Shaw Pearson, vice-chair (late)

Absent

James Nylen, treasurer (late)
Russell Holcombe, member-at-large

Board Meeting Agenda

Old

New

Upcoming Events
May 8th - Light Dreams - UAB

Treasurer's Report

upcoming events and deadlines

  • Long-planned member donation of equipment to space, when 501(c)3 letter received now needs to be planned.

Committee Updates

Grants

Outreach

Makers or Partner proposals

  • Advisory Circle proposals -
    • Dorsey Cox - industry advisor
    • Michael Alvis - makerspace ambassador
    • John Rhymes - corporate representative
    • Mark Gilbert - inventor & school advisor

closing announcements

  • meeting adjourned till the last sunday of next month at 5pm

Back Burner

Minutes

  • Approval of | last month's minutes - proposed by Shirley, seconded by JC.
    • 3 in favour, 1 abstention (not present at last meeting)
    • Shirley has put together a scenario-seeking Excel spreadsheet.
      • Useful tool for board members to use in order to understand how our membership growth rates and development of revenue from other sources (classes, grant-funded community programs run within the space) may affect need to increase membership rates in order to ensure that our income successfully covers operating expenses, without donations to cover shortfalls.
    • WIll forward early next week
  • Back room work estimate - is substantial
    • $2100/ sound insulation ceiling & drywall
    • Asbestos abatement - two pipes must be dealt with
    • Andrew the landlord (Community Properties LLC) to begin work in 2 - 3 weeks, based on the estimates we submitted in letter with April rent check.

Old

  • Review and approval of last month's minutes - proposed by Shirley, seconded by JC. Vote taken, recorded below.
  • Review of events
  • ADT security?
    • We now have an active system. All board members have had the experience of setting it off.
    • We are paying $33/month as per JC.
    • Perimeter security established.
  • Wild Apricot CRM - $50/month or $540/year (10S% discount for paying a year at one time)
    • Need feedback from James, treasurer.
    • Motion made by JC to start paying month to month to finish trials. Seconded by Shirley. Vote taken - 5yeas, no nays, one abstention.
    • Shirley to put together access list, continue trials.
  • Trae talked to Andrew about the outstanding work -
    • Andrew gave estimate of 2 - 3 weeks from this week as to when work could start.
    • Is going to review the information and pricing we gathered.
    • Back room work estimate - $2100/ sound insulation ceiling & drywall
    • Asbestos abatement - two pipes
  • Shirley updated mailing status and strategy
    • Asked Shawn as communications lead for help with media outreach
    • Steven and Lynette are fronting costs for Vestavia Chamber of Commerce membership
    • Proposal to join Birmingham Chamber of Commerce - cost is significantly higher - $345. We need to learn more - is there a non-profit or individual rate?

New

Upcoming Events
May 8th - Light Dreams - UAB
  • A lot of pressure for us to have something ready.
  • We don't have anything ready for it.
  • Suggestion to make a meetup event out of it, and simply attend.

Treasurer's Report

James, treasurer not present in time. Updated report rolled over to Maker's meet.
Updated membership count via Wild Apricot - 48 active members - Shirley
501(c)3 affirmation letter received
  • Shirley to link to website proper and to wiki.

upcoming events and deadlines

  • Long-planned member donation of equipment to space,to be done when 501(c)3 letter received, now needs to be planned for.
  • Need to revisit and continue entering equipment into equipment inventory. Required in order to receive an accurate quote next annual insurance policy from Seibert Williams Insurance.
    • Space insurance - due July
    • Shirley Hicks & John Rhymes will lead.

committee updates

Grants

Shirley will be talking to MakeICT (Wichita, Kansas) president next week to learn about how they wrote their very successful grant applications.

Outreach

Shawn will lead contacting media regarding teacher grant outreach.

Makers or Partner proposals

  • Advisory Circle nominations & votes -
  • Need advisor CVs from:
    • Dorsey Cox - industry advisor
    • Michael Alvis - makerspace ambassador
    • John Rhymes - corporate representative
    • Mark Gilbert - inventor & school advisor
  • Board members need to review in order to make informed vote.
  • Dorsey Cox has provided, need CVs from rest.

closing announcements

  • meeting adjourned till the last sunday of next month at 5pm

Votes

  • Approval of | last month's minutes - proposed by Shirley, seconded by JC.
    • 3 in favour, 1 abstention (not present at last meeting)