2015-05-10 maker meet

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

Sunday, May 10th, 2015

Start: 6:09 pm
Finish 6:54 pm

Location

RMM 5502 1st ave N Birmingham, AL 35212

Participants

  • Shirley Hicks, member
  • Daniel Near, member
  • JC Porras, member
  • Trae Watson, member
  • Sandy Campbell, member
  • Steph Markuchy, member
  • Mark Gilbert, member
  • Russell Holcombe, member
  • Miss Martin, Altamont School librarian, guest

Maker Meeting Agenda

  • New volunteer to take minutes - Shirley
  • New volunteer to moderate - Daniel

Old

New

  • abuses and removal of members personal equipment from rooms
  • need cvs from advisors

Upcoming events

  • confirm vote on maker meeting at celeste's house may 17th
  • makerspace presentation date?

Projects

Proposals

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • biolab
  • communal space host
    • new communal space host every last Sunday
  • computer lab
  • circuits lab
  • fiber lab
  • meeting room
  • print lab
  • Shape lab
  • ceramics
  • Web & tech

Nominations

votes

Closing announcements

  • meeting adjourned till next week 6pm

Minutes

Old

New

  • abuses and removal of members personal equipment from rooms
    • As the space formed (and while the group was small) we trusted each other with privately owned equipment -- and trusted that it would be returned to it's owner's storage place
    • We've had some problems with this recently - story below.
    • During the Bio Lab build out, JC's standing work light was broken.
    • Trae hadn't been asking new permission to use privately owned tools for which he had prior permission on other projects.
    • This has become a problem for several of the members in that their tools have been broken or not available when they've needed to use them.
      • JC's standing work light, flashlight and soldering gun broken have been broken.
      • Kurt's shop vacuum extension tubes (since found with the RMM shop vac)
      • Other member's small hand tools.
    • This has led to JC and Kurt installing locks on their work rooms so that they can control access. They don't trust the membership to consistently return tools used.
    • Trae apologized to JC for his actions - and for reducing the level of trust within the space.
    • Very, very important for all members to ask permission when borrowing individual member's tools going forward - and to return them promptly, when the use is complete, and to let the owner know where they are.
  • Need CVs from advisors circle members to add to wiki leadership page and information package.
    • Mark needs to provide CV to board.
    • Shirley to show Mark example

Upcoming events

  • Confirmation vote on maker meeting at Celeste's house May 17th
    • Trae motioned to have the vote. Shirley seconded. Vote: motion to 7 yeah, 2 abstention
  • makerspace presentation date? - (on Trae's trip across the south western US to visit makerspaces)
    • Set for Wednesday, May 13th, 7 - 9 pm, by Trae, Daniel & Shirley
  • CitizenFour documentary night, set for first Friday in June, Shirley hosting.
  • JC & Shawn have finally figured out how to create a good silicon mold.
    • Finally casting a perfect mold.
    • Vibration is important, to eliminate bubbles in the cast.
    • Instructable coming
  • Shawn projects starting portable flippable work surface cabinet project in three weeks

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • biolab
    • Almost done - 90% complete!
    • Steph wants to get things labeled and then run some classes before her departure on a five-month cycling trip in mid June.
  • communal space host - shawn cleaned bathrooms last week
    • new communal space host every last Sunday of month - looking for volunteers for next month.
    • Demo of one wall to expand one bathroom for handicap accessibility done by Steven & Lynette - Demo also all cleaned up by Shirley.
  • computer lab
    • Iron 3D printer is down, Metal Printrbot is functional. Daniel Near is working to fix the Iron 3D.
    • Request by Shawn and Shirley for 3D printer operations class or workshop.
    • JC and Russell talked about nozzle upgrades for their home 3d printers - necessary for increased reliability
    • 4 rolls of ABS need to be purchased, as we've run through the starting stock provided by Kurt - decision made to purchase black, white, yellow and green, and for current users to chip in for the purchase. Current price is about $22 + shipping.
  • circuits lab
    • Some frequency generators at the back - need to confirm equipment status (working/not working)
    • Shirley has begun to add and document equipment in wiki. There are now instructions for the oscilloscope on the oscilloscope page.
  • fiber lab
    • Industrial serger from local sewing shop that is closing down, now in the Fiber Lab. Requires motor assembly.
    • Need a member to look at assembly. Shirley will then call our industrial sewing equipment maintenance guy for service and to schedule an operating class.
  • meeting room
    • New-to-us work bench drawers left out with tools left out to dry. Need to be put in Shape Lab.
    • Tools also need to be labeled, inventoried and organized. Members willing to take on this task should contact Shawn, the Shape Lab host.
  • print lab
    • Shirley and Andrew doing product pricing for cost of prints.
  • Shape lab
    • Shawn planning to work on flippable table top in three weeks.
    • Tools from Mr. Curl's house need to be labeled, inventoried and organized. Members willing to take on this task should contact Shawn, the Shape Lab host.
  • Ceramics
    • Kiln at Space One Eleven takes 19 amp, hooked up to 20 amp.
    • If we fix, we get Knight LL high-fire 220V kiln in exchange.
  • Web & tech
    • Wild Apricot CRM purchased for year.
    • James and Shirley made decision on fly without board approval - bad board members - reprimand from chair!
    • Trae pointed out that the board had approved an initial month-to-month trial, with the approved plan being that RMM would lock in for a 10% discount when we were satisfied with the configuration.
    • Shirley's answer was that they had received notice of a 20% increase in the price starting June 1st, and that by locking in now, they saved approximately $150.
    • She acknowledged that they should have sought board approval first.
    • Issue to be discussed at next board meeting.

Nominations

No membership or position nominations

votes

Closing announcements

  • meeting adjourned till next week 6pm