2015-05-24 Maker meet

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

Started: 6:04 pm
Finished: 7:12 pm

Location

Red Mountain Makers, 5502 1st ave N Birmingham, AL 35212

Participants

Shirley Hicks
Trae Watson
Sandy Campbell
JC Porras
Chris Lais
John Rhymes
Steven Wyss

Maker

David Runnels
Erica Miller

Guest

Michael Massey

Maker Meeting Agenda

  • New volunteer to take minutes - Shirley
  • New volunteer to moderate - Trae

Old

New

Upcoming events

June 5th CitizenFour, Edward Snowden doc - internet security et al
June 20 Woodlawn market - call for interest to staff booth (will apply for a booth if we have volunteers) Email Shirley if interested. Otherwise, we will simply have space open that morning for visitors.
June 12 - 14 Southeast Linuxfest, Charlotte NC]
(list of maker faires) October 2 - 4 Atlanta Maker Faire
Miller Electric Generating Plant tour

Projects

  • Space equipment inventory (for insurance)

Proposals

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • biolab
    • shop sink drain leeks
  • communal space host
    • new communal (new host every last Sunday)
  • computer lab
  • circuits lab
    • 3 x soldering guns (to Will's specs) and brass cleaning scrubbies ordered (Shirley)
  • fiber lab
  • meeting room
  • print lab
    • New sensor and wearable tech reference texts in library, available for use.
  • Shape lab
  • ceramics
  • Web & tech
    • Initial Wild Apricot integration added to wiki and website, still need to adapt CSS and page templates.
    • Equipment inventory input now directly accessible from wiki equipment inventory page (currently commented out)

Nominations

  • Miriam Omura - up for maker? or member?

Minutes

Old Business

Review:

Mead bottling - Steph's friend ran lesson on bottling.
  • One issue - new sink plumbing isn't connected (found out the hard way) - sink trap needs to be connected properly - Steven Wyss to do work.
Women Who Code meeting went well. - 12 women came out.
  • Future meetings will probably be held downtown - Shirley running through WWC location list.

New

Upcoming events

June 6th CitizenFour, Edward Snowden doc - internet security et al
June 20 Woodlawn market - put a call out to man booth (if so)
June 12 - 14 Southeast Linuxfest, Charlotte NC - for those who are interested in attending
(list of maker faires) October 2 - 4 Atlanta Maker Faire
Miller Electric Generating Plant tour - date to be set - June 24th, 25th, or 29th?
  • John will survey members for best dates when he sets up the Meetup event.
Board meeting, next Sunday, May 31st 5 pm.

Projects

  • Space equipment inventory needs to be done to determine equipment insurance requirements.
    • Shirley asked if lab hosts could lead teams to do equipment inventory for their labs.
    • Will send out a separate email
    • JC suggested setting an inventory day.
    • Shirley will setup documentation, set date.

proposals

JC - live music at the space?
discussion - Trae - would deviate from intent and purpose of the space.
Shirley - we are getting more people coming as equipment inventory is building up.
Trae - possibly an instrument demo night or a built instrument demo night.
The Forge situation - simply was wasn't able to make rent, folded out of contract six months early.
Mono was raided - complaints about butts in the alley
Need to schedule clean-up in conjunction with shuffle and sweep.
Steven wants to set up a GoFundMe or KickStarter fundraiser
  • People's first opportunity to donate to the space
  • What is the higher priority? Kitchen or back lab?
  • Trae - thinks it's important to get input from the membership
  • Steven - says that the kitchen can be done for $1000. Stretch goal >> (if we hit $13,000)
  • Trae - wants the disabled bathroom access completed first.
  • Shirley and Trae made point that it needs to be about what we can do once we have the facility, less about facilities for the group.
  • Steven to make it a Steven project to help RMM, Steven to send out a list email, also a call for funds to pay for more drywall.

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • biolab
    • Culture Club will have regular meetings - for those interested in the mead and fermentation projects.
    • shop sink drain leeks
  • communal space host
    • new communal (new host every last Sunday)
  • computer lab
    • Printers - paper documentation
    • Please do not use printer until certified.
    • Contact Chris to set up a tutorial appointment
  • circuits lab
    • 3 x soldering guns (to Will's specs) and brass cleaning scrubbies ordered (Shirley)
  • fiber lab
    • New cotton gin
  • meeting room
    • 3 x Raspberry Pi2 computers now have heat sinks, working well. 1 more to come. If you have stuff left in the Meeting room, please remove it before cleanup date (next Sunday, May 31st)
  • print lab
    • New-to-us color laser printer
  • Library
    • New sensor and wearable tech reference texts in library, available for use.
  • Shape lab
  • ceramics
    • Chris has sourced plugs to repair Space One Eleven kiln, still looking for switches.
    • Space One Eleven will pay for the hardware.
  • Web & tech
    • Initial Wild Apricot integration added to wiki and website, still need to adapt CSS and page templates.
    • Equipment inventory input now directly accessible from wiki equipment inventory page (currently commented out)

Nominations & Votes

  • Miriam Omura - for maker membership - Celeste nominated her, Trae seconded.

Upcoming Events

Board meeting, next week 6 pm.

Closing Anouncements

  • Maker meeting adjourned till the sunday following the next equinox at 6pm


RELAX

Votes

Approval of minutes - 6 yeah,