2015-06-21 maker meet

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

Sunday 6:20 pm Finished: 7:21 pm

Attendees

Shirley Hicks
John Rhymes
JC Porras
Kurt Fattig
Sandy Campbell
Celeste Phay
Trae Watson
Steven Wyss (late arrival)

Location

RMM 5502 1st ave N Birmingham, AL 35212

Maker Meeting Agenda

  • New volunteer to take minutes
  • New volunteer to moderate

Old

  • Review of previous minutes 2015-06-14 maker meeting
  • Review of events
    • Woodlawn Street Market/electric vehicle display
  • Website update

New

Upcoming events

Projects

Proposals

Pass along some chairs and some bins to Bib & Tucker Sew-Op.
Get pop fund started
New education email list for teacher makers coming in to the space

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • biolab
    • fridge funds
  • communal space host
    • new communal (new host every last Sunday)
    • Halls swept and cleaned, bathrooms cleaned, toilet paper restocked, more paper towel purchased.
  • computer lab
  • circuits lab
    • John Rhymes has begun labeling.
  • fiber lab
  • meeting room
  • print lab
  • Shape lab
  • Web & tech

Nominations

votes

  • hosts
  • members

Closing announcements

  • meeting adjourned till next week 6pm


floor is now open for discussion and RMM tours

Back Burner

Minutes

Old

  • Review of previous minutes 2015-06-14 maker meeting
  • Review of events
    • Woodlawn Street Market/electric vehicle display
    • Three cars - Cadeliac ENR, Nissan Volt, BMW i3, + Mark's solar hydrogen car.
    • Ended up moving one down closer to Woodlawn Market.
    • Ended up doing chalk drawings to direct people.
    • Had some folks stop by, but not a huge amount (10 people)
    • Location counts - BMW i3 when it was next to the Woodlawn Market.
    • If we do this again, should locate closer to the market, use one vehicle only and focus on outreach.

New

Upcoming events

Projects

Proposals

Pass along some chairs and some bins to Bib & Tucker Sew-Op.
Shirley - Bib & Tucker, another neighborhood nonprofit, is moving again at the end of the month. They need some work chairs - and we need the space losing a few work chairs would give us.
Celeste - they could also use some bins. We have a surplus of bins.
Trae suggested that we pass along the unmatched grey chairs
Celeste - will coordinate passing along of equipment that our fellow nonprofit can use.

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • communal space host
  • circuits lab
    • John Rhymes has begun labeling bins to help get lab to point that anyone can walk in and start working.
  • fiber lab
    • Celeste has adapted bins to provide additional storage.
    • Celeste lead construction of weaving yarn storage trees. (Quite nice!)
    • Shirley to call the commercial repair guy to get the industrial serger working (done - coming Thursday, June 25th Velochicdunord (talk) 14:25, 22 June 2015 (PDT))
  • meeting room
  • print lab
    • Color Laser 9970N working, but likely to need new toner cartridge very soon.
    • Need to get pricing.
    • Working per/print charge to start at 25¢ per copy. User provides paper.
    • John to make arrangements to adapt one of the wheeled cabinet units to serve as a printer cart and storage area.
  • Shape lab
    • New peg boards up - load them up, get the tools set up where you want them.
  • Web & tech
    • Call to set working group meeting date - [IS details updated] - Will be Wednesday - watch Meetup.

Nominations

votes

  • hosts
  • members

Closing announcements

  • meeting adjourned till next week 6pm


floor is now open for discussion and RMM tours

Back Burner

Minutes

Shirley to take minutes
Trae to chair meeting

Upcoming events

Tour of Plant Miller (electrical generating station). Reply by noon.
Plant Miller steam electrical generating plant. 25% of Alabama's state capacity
4 generating units
Very elaborate scrubbers added -
Meet up at space at 8 am - tour at 9 am, on the Black Warrior river.
Uses low sulfur coal from Wyoming, from out west.

Projects

Daniel made an adaptor for the PrinterBot to allow for use of PLA
Sandy helped JC design mason jar holders and is working to help him better organize his work space.
Celeste and MIriam have continued to work on fiber lab organization
Kurt and Steven etched a circuit board on Kurt's CNC mill.
Soaker hose here to set up planter beds Need additional adapters, fittings and a hose splitter.

Proposals

Pass along chairs and bins

Lab Updates

  • biolab
    • fridge has been purchased
    • Trae needs some help tracing the existing outlet electrical problem - needs a second volunteer
    • Need new bio lab host. Steph recommended Allie - she needs to join as a maker
    • Nominate a temporary bio lab host? Trae nominates Richard Morgan - Steven seconds.
  • Photo lab - Sandy is the photo lab host - cleaned up and moved everything to rolling cabinet.
    • Sandy will source a sink and work on ventilation.
    • Some discussion as to paint color - Sandy suggests that white is best, as did Celeste.
  • communal space host
    • Halls swept and cleaned, bathrooms cleaned, toilet paper restocked, more paper towel purchased. To be approved by board at next board meeting.
    • Cleaning supplies - JC requested rubbing alcohol purchase - is the best cleaner for white boards.
  • computer lab
    • JC requested two new boxes of whiteboard markers, one additional box dry erase and one box of wet erase markers
    • Current donated network switch is quite noisy - JC recommends purchase of a new, quieter switch.
    • DVI cord was removed from JC's acrylic clear case computer
    • Asks people using the lab to take care with the equipment as much of it doesn't belong to RMM.
    • We need at least two more power strips - Steven W. will buy one, need one more person to make purchase ($50 each at Home Depot)
  • circuits lab
    • John Rhymes has begun labeling circuit lab small bins.
    • Labeling to help people find stuff in the various small bins.
    • Things accumulating again on surfaces. Need to work with members to ensure that things get cleaned up before we leave each night.
    • JC proposes an 8 - 8:30 pm cleaning sprint.
    • Celeste suggested a cleaning music playlist to pump folks up for a cleaning sprint.
    • Trae suggested adding a specific meetup with the time.
    • Sandy and Celeste suggested that we schedule a once a month lab teaching day. Card sheets? Time to get classes happening!
    • JC pointed out that people need to be self-directed.
  • fiber lab
    • Celeste knows that people want to learn how to weave.
    • Sandy is working on creating a hammock
    • Celeste is actively soliciting people looking to work with natural dyes
  • meeting room
    • John brought in leaky hose - goal is to automate the watering of the herb planters. Looking for volunteers to help install this week.
    • JC asks that people dispose of food garbage in the outside garbage cans - they get smelly when left for more than a day - especially in the heat.
  • print lab
    • Chris is still fiddling with the LaserJet -
    • Phaser 7760 - can print to it from the office computer, but not the network. Use a thumbnail drive, create a PDF and walk it over!
    • Magenta is running low - will need a new toner cartridge.
    • Trae has proposed 15 cents - Shirley pointed out that we needed to plan for future replacement and that we had pricing tables put together by Andrew Clifton in May.
    • Price to be confirmed.
    • Coil binding unit in office, ready for use in production of RMM and other nonprofit promotional and instructional materials. (was in hack zone)
    • JC is working on some cool art
  • Shape lab
    • Trae will put out the pegs - use a tool, hang it up!
  • Web & tech
    • Call to set working group meeting date - [IS details updated] Proposal for this coming Wednesday.

Old Business

New Business

JC will set a parting and cleanout day to clean out the rest of the accumulated computers. Watch for it on Meetup!

Votes

Richard - temporary host for bio lab - Steven seconded
Trae nominated Miriam Omura as keyholder, Celeste Phau seconded. Celeste to approach Miriam to confirm that she's interested.

Approved minutes - 5 in favor, 2 abstentions