2015-08-30 Maker meeting

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

maker meeting

Start time: 7:15pm or there about
End time: 7:45pm or there about

Location

RMM 5502 1st ave N Birmingham, AL 35212

Participants

  • Trae
  • Sandy
  • John
  • Chris
  • Shirley
  • James
  • Celeste
  • Miriam

joining the meeting in progress:

  • JC
  • Kurt
  • Bruce
  • Russel

Maker Meeting Agenda

Every Sunday at 7pm

  • New volunteer to take minutes
  • New volunteer to moderate

Old

New

Projects

John: Projects_and_Information_Displays - portable displays of finished projects to show what we have accomplished

Proposals

Lab Host updates

feedback

parking requests

Nominations

votes

Closing announcements


floor is now open for discussion and RMM tours

Back Burner

Minutes

Upcoming Events

Sept 2nd 6pm Trae and Russel working on the floor of the back room, help welcome. Wear proper shoes for working in. Sept 5th Trae and Celeste planing a trip to Florence AL to visit Alabama Chanin (organic woven cotton, cottage industry) also to potentially visit the Alabama Seed bank (contact yet to be made) Some people planning to stay over some just to make it a day trip. Plans to be in Florence by 2pm.


Sept 12th Fermentation event/workshop noon-2pm. 30 people signed up for the event, they will be using thew Bio Lab and the main meeting room. Celeste is leading the cleaning of the Bio Lab in preparation, but help is appreciated.


Sept 19th Woodlawn Festival. They are requesting electric cars (John not sure if he can be there for that) Shirley suggests RMM gets a booth for $10 to continue with community outreach cites Woodlawn High School wanting RMM to help with their Robotics class. Informational fliers can be passed out. (See vote below)


October East Lake Village. James Ruben’s tube. Sandy, JC, Miriam Lanterns.

Past Events

Notes: 18 people at the Ham Radio workshop, things went great. FYI- when you set up a event make sure you reserve the room and/or list the room for the event.!

Current RMM projects

John has set up a Projects page on the Wiki (This is also a project to create displays of past RMM projects and educational displays that can be displayed in the space on the walls, but are also portable to take to events and display on easels or tables.


Back room floor. Top layer has been removed, dumpster is full, some wheel barrows still full and waiting to be emptied. Ready for phase 2: Planning and designing before pulling sub flooring out and putting in joists (2-3 week estimate). After that: “it’s a piece of cake.” Russel will have a list of materials needed after the planning and design is done. It has come to light via Trae that, the landlord has requested that no joist work be done to the floor in the back room. The landlord is putting plumbing in from the first floor to the third in the back of the building and is planning to raise the floor. He was supposed to stop by the space this past Friday to see the progress of the back room, no evidence that he has actually done that.


Shirley has contacted Forbes Electronics, and they will hold/stock product for classes held by RMM if we provide them with a class supply list.

Future Projects Proposed

Some suggestions brought up for future projects (to start after current projects are done):

Back hallway meeting room. Celeste suggests a Japanese style room with a low table with heating (kotatsu) and straw reed mat floor (tatami) requiring no shoes to be worn in the space. (discussed last Thursday with JC, Sandy, Stephen x2 )


Food Lab. Make Trae’s room a ‘grey space’ with direct access to the food lab and a window to the hangout space/main room. Something to talk about after the bathrooms are finished.


Maintenance Lab. Move the equipment around the RMM space as a whole, make the Maintenance Lab into the print lab connected to the Computer Lab.

Lab Host updates

Milo is interested in turning the Photo Lab into a Nerf room, Milo notes the lab isn't being used right now. Sandy says he is planning to start working on the space soon and it won’t work for Milo to turn it into a Nerf room.

Votes

Sept 19th Woodlawn Festival. They are requesting electric cars (John not sure if he can be there for that) Shirley suggests RMM gets a booth for $10 to continue with community outreach cites Woodlawn High School wanting RMM to help with their Robotics class. Informational fliers can be passed out.

Motion made to vote on spending money on a booth for Woodlawn Festival. Yes: Trae, Miriam, John, Shirley, Celeste, Sandy. Abstain vote from (meeting leader) James, Chris. Not yet at the meeting to vote (JC, Kurt, Bruce, Russel)