2015-11-15 Maker Meet
From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
to calendar ..
RMM 5502 1st ave N Birmingham, AL 35212
- John R.
- Trae -moderator
- Shirley -leaving early
- Miriam -minutes
Maker Meet, Show and Tell Agenda
Every Sunday at 7pm
- New volunteer to take minutes? Miriam
- New volunteer to moderate? Trae
- Review of previous minutes 2015-11-08 Maker Meet
- Review of events
Lab Host updates
- meeting adjourned till next week 7pm
floor is now open for discussion and RMM tours
Last weeks minutes approved unanimously
- Miriam gave a talk on her work and weaving process to the GBFG this Saturday, willing to give a 20 minute presentation with video chips before one of the Sunday meetings.
- Shirley made pen holders for the print lab/ office (taking the idea from the props lab).
- Trae is creating and formulating a database for a seed bank in northern Alabama, thinking of tayloring it to include the seed savers exchange.
- Shawn put up the new lights in the hangout space.
- Shawn is going to do a Bio Char (making fresh charcoal for gardening or for filtering) presentation in December, plans to make it open to the public.
- will tie into future projects including front planters.
- John R. sent out a link, via email, for a documentary about some designers that become teachers in a rural NC school and taught the kids like it was a makers space. http://www.ifyoubuilditmovie.com/
Lab Host updates
- Shape Lab
- Shawn brought in a sander for the Shape lab.
- Sandy taking up floors in the shape lab. Looking to buy 3/4" regular plywood, estimated at $500.
- Kurt in for $100, Trae in for $100, John R. Will pitch in too, Shirley will pitch in if we can't make the $500. If anyone else wants to pitch in please do.
- Shawn recommends a lap joint for the floor to account for expansion and shrinkage due to temperature changes.
- All labs
- 1 1/2 more labs done for equipment and furniture inventory. Equipment inventory already at $5,400
- Bio Lab
- John R. Working on Bio Lab inventory of books. Question on ownership of some of the equipment in the lab, Steph coming in to help clarify.
- Nomination votes for members will be done at the end of the month at the RMM monthly meeting.
- Makers need to be makers for one month before being nominations for membership level.
- Sally mailed out fundraiser letters out last Sunday (11/08/15) waiting for responses.
- Shirley has been working on the email migration and hopes to have it finished by the end of the day on Monday the 16th.
- Email has been down for about 72 hours.
- Due to email being down Trae has been unable to share Andrew's revised lease with the membership.
- JC noticed on Wednesday that one raspberry pi was missing and one SD card for the remaining raspberry pis was also missing.
- JC also noticed the back room (new shape lab) has been left unlocked several times.
- The issues raised by JC bring into question how well we as a whole group are being responsible for security. It is recommended that the front doors remain locked unless you or someone else is working in the front room. It should be locked if you leave that room, even during open hours times.
- We need to get our video cameras up and running again and get an alarm on the back door.