2015-11-29 RMM Meeting

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

7pm

Location

RMM 5502 1st ave N Birmingham, AL 35212

Participants

  • Miriam- minutes
  • Stephen R.
  • Michael
  • Erin
  • Sally
  • Chris
  • Trae
  • Shawn- moderator
  • Sandy
  • JC
  • John R
  • Paul

RMM Monthly Meeting Agenda

Every Last Sunday of the month at 7pm

  • New volunteer to take minutes?
  • New volunteer to moderate?

Old

New

welcomes

New makers in the past month:

  • Kris Kirby
  • Sam Bennett
  • Benjamin Gallagher
  • Erin DeLoach
  • Heather Fox

Any other new makers in the last month?

Upcoming events

Proposals

Grant application: RMM and UAB, 3 year program with 7th - 12th grade students, 15 Saturday's a year at RMM, space closed to members/makers during classes, income from space use and potential money for equipment related to programming.

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • all labs
    • where are we on the equipment inventory? Deadline is December 31 2015.
      • Shirley - report - Fiber Lab, Print Lab, Ceramics Lab & Bio Lab completed. Need lab hosts to respond to request for dates. Will be away from Dec 17th - 27th.
  • biolab
  • communal space host (new volunteer)
    • Shawn said he would take December
  • computer lab
  • cermics lab
  • circuits lab
  • fiber lab
  • meeting room
  • print lab
  • prop lab
  • Shape lab: Ready to move in tomorrow
  • Web & tech

Nominations

votes

  • standing rules
  • hosts
  • members
    • Rick Curl nominated for membership by Steven Wyss, seconded by Shirley on 11/08/2015
    • Trae nominates Michael Jones for membership Kurt seconds nomination on 11/01/2015
  • Proposals

Steven Wyss is co-writing a grant for UAB and RMM

    • estimated $60,000 for 3 years, 15 saturdays a year, for UAB to have 3 instructors using exclusive use of the makerspace. Roughly $1,500 per saturday. Saturday 9am to 3pm with about 30 kids. RMM makers may apply as instructors to UAB. Who may develop the curriculum along with UAB staff. The fee is for rental only. Seperate budget may cover supplies.
  • Approval of Lease

Closing announcements

  • meeting adjourned till the last sunday of next month at 7pm


5 minute break till Board meeting

Back Burner

Minutes

Past weeks minutes approved (6 votes) welcomes, New makers in the past month:

  • Kris Kirby
  • Sam Bennett
  • Benjamin Gallagher
  • Erin DeLoach
  • Heather Fox
  • Greg Good

Upcoming events

  • Thursday December 3rd: Tech Tuesday Round Table, 11am at Tech Birmingham, register online
  • Thursday December 3rd: Inovation Depot having their I-Lab debut 10am
  • Thursday December 3rd: Social Venture workshop for non-profits 1pm
  • Wednesday December 2nd: Farm Forum meeting discussing possible viability of hemp crops in AL, Trae is going, ask him about more details if interested.

Proposals

Grant appliplication: Steven Wyss is co-writing a grant for UAB and RMM estimated $60,000 for 3 years, 15 saturdays a year, for UAB to have 3 instructors using exclusive use of the makerspace. Roughly $1,500 per saturday. Saturday 9am to 3pm with about 30 kids. RMM makers may apply as instructors to UAB. Who may develop the curriculum along with UAB staff. The fee is for rental only. Seperate budget may cover supplies.

  • Trae motion to vote: Ask membership at large to give signing off approval to the board for sending a letter of support for the grant application already in progress.
  • John R seconds
  • vote: 9 yes. 0 no. 0 abstain

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

all labs where are we on the equipment inventory? Deadline is December 31 2015. Shirley - report - Fiber Lab, Print Lab, Ceramics Lab & Bio Lab completed. Need lab hosts to respond to request for dates. Will be away from Dec 17th - 27th.

  • biolab
  • communal space host (new volunteer)
    • Shawn said he would take December
  • computer lab
    • 3-D printers working, but don't use the Printer Bot, it still has bearing issues
  • ceramic lab
    • 220 circuit needed for the kiln
    • Katie broke her leg. :(
  • circuits lab
  • fiber lab
    • still need to order parts to fix the small loom ($175 or so)
  • meeting room
    • keep it clean
    • wax cup with soda made a mess all over the table this week.
  • print lab
  • prop lab
  • Shape lab: Ready to move in tomorrow
    • DON'T even think about moving equipment in until you talk with Kurt.
  • Web & tech
    • wiki still a little glitchy

Nominations

Sally nominates Heather Fox from maker to member. Heather has already done a lot for the space, updated the fire exit maps with Trae and Russell. working on finishing the second bathroom. informed RMM members of the safety issues with the attic: lead paint, asbestos

votes

standing rules

Shawn will put together a membership policy review for next month. Trae wants to put a do-ocracy into the standing rules

hosts

members

  • Rick Curl nominated for membership by Steven Wyss, seconded by Shirley on 11/08/2015

Vote: Chris motion, John R. second, 9 yes, 0 no, 0 abstain

  • Trae nominates Michael Jones for membership Kurt seconds nomination on 11/01/2015

Vote: Trae motion, Shawn second, 8 yes, 0 no, 1 abstain Michael Jones given key #22

Approval of Lease

(Copy of lease passed around at meeting) Vote: John R. motion, Sally second, 8 yes, 1 no, 1 abstain

  • David Johnson voted by email proxy

Closing announcements

Exciting news: we have more soap for the bathrooms! Thanks to Stephen R. meeting adjourned till the last sunday of next month at 7pm

Votes

  • Joint grant between UAB and RMM.

Ask membership at large to give signing off approval to the board for sending a letter of support for the grant application already in progress.

    • vote: 9 yes. 0 no. 0 abstain.
  • Membership: Rick Curl

Vote: 9 yes. 0 no. 0 abstain.

  • Membership: Michael Jones

Vote: 8 yes. 0 no. 1 abstain.

  • Approval of Lease
    • Vote: 8 yes. 1 no. 1 abstain.