2015-12-06 Maker Meet

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

Sunday December 6th, 2015
Started 7:05 pm
Adjourned, 8:14 pm

Location

RMM 5502 1st ave N Birmingham, AL 35212

Participants

Trae Watson, member
Shirley Hicks, member
Stephen Ricks, member
JC Porras, member
Lynette Pope, member
Kurt Fattig, member
Chris Lais, member
Heather Fox, maker

Maker Meet, Show and Tell Agenda

Every Sunday at 7pm

  • New volunteer to take minutes?
  • New volunteer to moderate?

Old

New

Show-n-Tell Projects

  • New Minecraft server

Lab Host updates

  • Print Lab - notes re Xerox 7760DN printer warning light (demo of solution)
  • Props Lab - is no more
    • Proposed replacement - Sound Lab - Lynnette Pope
  • Shape Lab - move in date

feedback

parking requests

Nominations

Announcements

  • Trae and Shirley attended TechBirmingham's meeting requesting employer input regarding developing a tech recruiting campaign for region.
  • Trae and Shirley attended third NonProfit Leadership Academy's session focusing on non-profit financials Thursday, December 3rd.
  • Shirley and Katie are blocking out class topic groups and sequence timelines - need your input.
  • Need to set a date/target deadline for current reno work to be completed prior to inviting TechBirmingham companies for Space tours.
  • meeting adjourned till next week 7pm

General stuff

  • File collection on Google Drive getting rather large and needs to be cleaned up a bit -- Shirley
  • Prop Lab, member departure - what the heck happened??

Minutes

  • Shirley took minutes
  • Trae moderated meeting

Old

New

Show-n-Tell Projects

  • New Minecraft server
    • We now have a Minecraft server set-up and accessible at theSpace. Thanks Steven Wyss, for donating a G5 tower for this project. Local IP address: 10.1.2.146

Lab Host updates

  • Print Lab - notes re Xerox 7760DN printer warning light (demo of solution)
  • Props Lab - will not continue as a fully allocated space. Discussed in General section below.
    • Proposed replacements:
      • Sound Lab proposal pitched by Lynnette Pope.
      • HAM radio lab - Heather Fox, JC.
  • Shape Lab - move in date set for Saturday, December 12th. Kurt will post a meetup announcement.
    • Moved drill-press in
    • Kurt renting truck, needs some help to move equipment into the space
    • Contact Kurt to coordinate bringing additional equipment in to the new area.
    • Safety Bar - Steven and Heather cleaned up safety area

feedback

parking requests

Nominations

Maker Heather Fox for membership. Trae nominated, JC seconded the nomination. All present in favor.

Announcements

  • Shirley and Katie are blocking out class topic groups and sequence timelines - need your input.
  • Need to set a date/target deadline for current reno work to be completed prior to inviting TechBirmingham companies for Space tours.
  • meeting adjourned till next week 7pm

General stuff

  • FIRST Robotics competition meeting 4:30 pm Monday December 7th, 2015.
    • Kurt, Shawn attending with Woodlawn HS teacher Dr. Chanel Douglas
    • Interested members and community invited to attend
    • Woodlawn robotics team has to raise $2,000 to access funds from the FIRST Robotics program. Need some help with that.
  • File collection on Google Drive getting rather large and needs to be cleaned up a bit -- Shirley
    • Shirley, Trae and James (?) to review.
  • Consensus to have new member votes after the individual completes a month's membership as a maker.
  • PropsLab, member departure - what the heck happened??
    • Sally - had been working very hard launching RMM's first large fundraising push. Had been moving very quickly to meet deadlines - other members having difficulty keeping up.
    • Understanding that she felt isolated due to not too many other members being interested in Nerf mods at this time.
    • During discussion of group logo and some issues run into during poster development, had done work on her own to remedy the problem, but the solution was seen by other members who have been developing the group's branding as not the best approach. They had raised it in discussion but resorted to dispute the validity of the motivation to change it. Careless language was used. Sally took offense without the other person realizing the degree of the offense.
    • Discussion among membership that this should have been caught earlier. Logo shortcomings are known, but doing the necessary work is currently low priority. That was not written down anywhere or discussed as part of the fundraising work.
    • Steps taken to remedy problem: (don't want it to happen again!)
      • Shirley writing clearer instructions regarding current logo usage
      • Trae reminded group of pitfalls of failed cooperation. We need to try to be honest early without being judgmental.
      • Kurt noted that members could sometimes get a little rough with one another when kidding around enthusiastically.
      • Kurt reminded the group rules to be excellent to one another.
        • This serves as a reminder of the importance of talking to one another to ensure that everyone knows what is going on and to be sensitive of language used.
    • Additional discussion about the developing high volume of maker list emails and some makers and members problems keeping up with the volume.
      • Decision made to set up additional email lists for admin and finance, and for the developing Ham radio group.
      • Also, to set the maker and member list default settings to "digest".
    • RMM does not have access to the fundraising campaign materials and lists that Sally developed.
  • Discussion of what happens with fundraising campaign
    • Trae will call for interest and set a meeting to see who can carry on with the work.
  • Membership present praised the work done by Sally, and her enthusiasm.
  • All present are sorry that she is leaving, will miss her at the space, and wish her well in her future endeavors.
  • Repurposing Props Lab space -
    • Shirley proposed using the space for a small meeting area - is needed as makerspace gets busier.
    • Discussion of how to possibly use the space as a props work area _and_ a small meeting area (needed). Milo remains interested in Nerf mods - develop portable cart of materials. Consensus that if the Props Lab materials could be contained on movable carts or shelving, that a working area of some sort should be retained.
    • Lynette proposed reworking the available space as a sound lab
      • Discussion of what a sound lab would be, how to test it, how to use it to develop facility.
      • Problem - Lynette can't take on the lab host roll right now.
    • Additional proposal to develop the space as a HAM radio lab
    • Would it be possible to combine both interest areas?
    • Discussion continued outside meeting.
  • Proposal to convert current member storage area to metal-working from Heather Fox
    • Her proposal would require adding an exhaust fan through an existing boarded up window, and covering existing walls and surfaces with cement board (fire-proof)
    • This would require member storage areas to be moved to existing labs during upcoming lab reconfiguration.
    • Membership present discussed concerns regarding crowding in other labs. Agreed to evaluate proposal.
  • Question from Lynnette regarding use of space within the makerspace, citing current non-use of the bio lab as an example.
    • Concern is valid.
  • Katie - talked about how to block out classes, calling meeting Thursday to start working out systems.


floor is now open for discussion and RMM tours