2016-01-03 Monthly Meeting

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Summary

7:06 - 8:28pm

Location

RMM 5502 1st ave N Birmingham, AL 35212

Participants

  • Kurt
  • James
  • JC
  • Miriam - minutes
  • Shirley
  • Trae- moderator
  • Sandy
  • Jake
  • Stephen
  • David
  • Kris
  • Shawn
  • John

RMM Monthly Meeting Agenda

Every Last Sunday of the month at 7pm

  • New volunteer to take minutes?
  • New volunteer to moderate?

Old

New

Upcoming events

Proposals

  • We should discuss raising monthly membership costs:
    • currently RMM is working on a shoe string budget and we need to get better equipment and have a cleaner space to entice new members and makers.
    • Gym membership approach doesn't seem to be working, are numbers aren't growing at the rate we hoped.
  • Can we get rid of the printers in the Print Lab, sell them, and replace them with one new one?
  • Can we seriously discuss selling stuff on ebay?
  • Miriam would like to put together a few surveys online and in paper form. Miriam needs help with the online ones and input for questions is welcome:
    • One for members and makers who leave RMM, to better understand why they are leaving and so we can hopefully not loose more makers/members.
    • One for people who come tour the space, have them fill out a paper survey about what they came by and what they would like to do here, do we have the facilities they were hoping for, what was their first impression of the place.
    • One to send out to the 700 plus people on the RMM Meetup page to see what would encourage them to come to an event at the space, what events they would like to see.
  • Photo copies of peoples IDs, do we need them, is there another approach?
    • Can we take photos of new makers and members in the space and keep those on file.
    • Can we just check a persons ID to confirm who they are without a copy, with a signing witness to the ID having been checked?
    • We need to make sure the printed name of liability waiver is clearly LEGIBLE (maybe the form needs more space for putting the name in)
    • We need to be 100% compliance on whatever we do for every person in the space.

Community Outreach

Chip Bentley is interested in doing a month of "meet your maker" workshops at DISCO. The workshops would be on Tuesdays in March from 4 to 5:30 PM. One or two makers would visit, talk about what they do and maybe lead a short exercise in making. It could be as simple as working with legos or snap circuits or code basics. DISCO's instructors would be in charge of directing the workshop and provide a writing component.

Financial Reporting

Treasurer will be issuing regular reports to the membership going forward regarding RMM's cash flow and resources. As of November 2015, the board of directors is getting a monthly statement of cash flow and membership numbers (linked to in the board minutes)
Question to membership - what information is useful to you in a monthly or quarterly format? What do you need to know about the state of the organization?


  • Standing Rule to abide by cooperatives principles (particularly for the board of directors) -Trae (talk) 19:30, 3 January 2016 (EST)

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

  • bio lab
  • ceramic lab
  • communal space host
    • new communal (new host every last Sunday- currently it is Shawn)
  • computer lab
  • circuits lab
  • fiber lab
  • meeting room
  • print lab/office
    • Access to wide format printer (for posters, et al)
  • Shape lab
  • metal lab
  • Web & tech

Nominations

votes

  • standing rules
  • hosts
    • Heather Fox for Metal Lab host
  • admin
    • Kris Kirby for Network Admin (nominated by Chrs Lais who has stepped down as Network Admin)
  • members

Closing announcements

  • meeting adjourned till the last sunday of next month at 7pm


5 minute break till Board meeting

Back Burner

Minutes

Old

Review of previous minutes 2015-12-27 Maker Meet

  • vote to approve minutes
    • yes: 8
    • no: 1
    • abstain: 4

past events

  • none

New

Upcoming events

  • Son's of Vilcan Metal forge, in Woodlawn area, Jan 14th 6:30pm meetup event for a visit.
  • intro to Arduino class being organized by Shirley.

Proposals

  • We should discuss raising monthly membership costs:
    • currently RMM is working on a shoe string budget and we need to get better equipment and have a cleaner space to entice new members and makers.
    • Gym membership approach doesn't seem to be working, are numbers aren't growing at the rate we hoped.
    • some oppose raising monthly rates.
    • what are our financial constraints? just cover bills and supply costs (toilet paper, paper, soap)
    • what are our options? what are our goals, now that we have #'s for past 2 years?
    • transparency in our finances? what does our money go to? Can we see the breakdown?
    • three months finances can be provided, meeting expenses, not a lot left over.
    • make it affordable and accessible to as many people as possible.
    • What are our member numbers? 42 as of Jan 2016
    • we would loose members with dues increase, but would gain members with more tools.
  • Can we get rid of the printers in the Print Lab, sell them, and replace them with one new one?
    • need to leave general junk at the space (junk donations, things people are just giving us but have no use or potential)
    • remove the one broken color printer, ok with Shirley (Print lab host)
    • other printers are functional.


  • Can we seriously discuss selling stuff on ebay?
    • Kurt will help set up an ebay account for RMM
    • we have to: collect taxes if sold within Alabama, Birmingham, or Jefferson County.
    • need to get a county and state business license.
  • Miriam would like to put together a few surveys online and in paper form. Miriam needs help with the online ones and input for questions is welcome:
    • One for members and makers who leave RMM, to better understand why they are leaving and so we can hopefully not loose more makers/members.
    • One for people who come tour the space, have them fill out a paper survey about what they came by and what they would like to do here, do we have the facilities they were hoping for, what was their first impression of the place.
    • One to send out to the 700 plus people on the RMM Meetup page to see what would encourage them to come to an event at the space, what events they would like to see.
    • polls can be set up
    • we have a survey monkey account (Shirley will email details)
    • you can use google docs
    • Photo copies of peoples IDs, do we need them, is there another approach?
      • Can we take photos of new makers and members in the space and keep those on file.
      • Can we just check a persons ID to confirm who they are without a copy, with a signing witness to the ID having been checked?
      • We need to make sure the printed name of liability waiver is clearly LEGIBLE (maybe the form needs more space for putting the name in)
      • We need to be 100% compliance on whatever we do for every person in the space.
      • We will continue with photo IDs, photos of those who object
      • add witness line to the forms.

Community Outreach

  • Chip Bentley is interested in doing a month of "meet your maker" workshops at DISCO. The workshops would be on Tuesdays in March from 4 to 5:30 PM. One or two makers would visit, talk about what they do and maybe lead a short exercise in making. It could be as simple as working with legos or snap circuits or code basics. DISCO's instructors would be in charge of directing the workshop and provide a writing component.

Financial Reporting

  • Treasurer will be issuing regular reports to the membership going forward regarding RMM's cash flow and resources. As of November 2015, the board of directors is getting a monthly statement of cash flow and membership numbers (linked to in the board minutes)
  • Question to membership - what information is useful to you in a monthly or quarterly format? What do you need to know about the state of the organization?


  • Standing Rule to abide by cooperatives principles (particularly for the board of directors)
    • how do we cooperate with other makers groups
    • why do we want this
    • We should vote on these
    • Trae open to help with cooperative principles

Lab Host updates, feedback, parking requests

bio lab

  • hydroponics and brewing plans

ceramic lab

  • door to shape lab is no longer a functional door
  • exit sign has been redirected
  • no kiln update

communal space host

  • new communal (new host every last Sunday- currently it is Shawn)
  • Shawn will do it again

computer lab

  • none

circuits lab

  • "it's a disaster zone"
  • big shelf moved to shape lab
  • floor and wall work will begin
  • 20 amp and 8 quad outlets to be put in
  • class on the 21st of Jan. Can't promise whole room will be ready
  • can part of the lab be kept functional?
  • class can be conducted in the main room, it was known that work would be starting in the lab before the class was setup

fiber lab

  • none

meeting room

  • none

print lab/office

  • Access to wide format printer (for posters, et al)
  • color printer will be removed

Shape lab

  • big shelf moved in, pretty set up for work

metal lab

  • cleared out

Web & tech

  • https for RMM.org now

Nominations

votes

  • standing rules
    • Shawn's membership policy review

Put on hold until next monthly meeting (Jan 31st)

    • Trae's do-orcracy policy for the standing rules
  • hosts
    • Heather Fox for Metal Lab host (by Kurt, James seconds)
      • yes: 10, no: 0, abstain: 0
  • admin
    • Kris Kirby for Network Admin (nominated by Chrs Lais who has stepped down as Network Admin)
      • yes: 10, no: 0, abstain: 0

Closing announcements

  • Sam Benett- clarification on membership acceptance
  • Can hosts be notified in advance of classes being planned for the labs they are hosting?
  • Kurt makes funding request for faucet and door knob for ADH bathroom ($120)
    • no objections from anyone
    • plumbing fixed in bathroom, baseboard going in tomorrow, bathroom will be functional next week.
  • next sat Robotics group coming in from Woodlawn High School (Sat-Tues shape lab reserved, and all further Sats until further notice)
    • see calendar outside to know if lab is reserved.
  • Kurt would like to nominate JC Porras and Sandy Campbell as a "Red Mountain Maker of the Year - 2015". At this point this is a truly honorary award... there is no plaque, trophy or other memento, but they both deserve some recognition for their efforts. Sandy and JC both exhibit and embody the true spirit of what it means to be a Red Mountain Maker, for all their tireless work in cleaning up and organizing the space, participating in numerous projects inside and outside of the RMM makerspace, and general helpfulness to other makers.
  • nomination for termination of membership put forward.(email to key-holding membership to be sent out)
    • needs a weeks notice and a period of discussion.
    • FULL membership vote (key-holders only)
    • this can be a heated issue
    • can this be a blind vote?
  • meeting adjourned till the last Sunday of next month at 7pm (Jan 31)