2016-06-12 board meeting

From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

to calendar ..

Minutes

Summary

Sunday, June 12th, 2016
Started at :6:15 pm
Adjourned 6:51 pm

Location

RMM 5502 1st ave N Birmingham, AL 35212

Participants

Kurt Fattig, chair
Greg Good, vice-chair
Daniel Near, secretary
Shirley Hicks, treasurer
Shawn Pearson, board member-at-large
Heather Foxx, board member-at-large, security officer
Sandy Campbell, member-at-large

Attending membership:

Shay, maker
Sally Kuhn, keyholder, print lab host

Absent:

Chris Lais, board member-at-large

Information

  • SRC3 format from the Dallas Makerspace - [[1]] - items on agenda are approved unless there is an objection.
  • Minutes taken by Shirley Hicks
  • Meeting moderator - Sandy Campbell

Board Meeting Agenda

The Red Mountain Makers Board meets every second Sunday of the month at 6:00 PM.
Our Mission as a technical cooperative is to engage in scientific and artistic research, experimentation, and education. To do so, we adapt a workspace for a collaborative and supportive community of peer and project based education related to technology and artistic expression. We also support the use and development of free and open source software, hardware and design.

I. Previous Meeting Minutes

1. 2016-05-08 Board Meeting

"Does anyone have any revisions to the minutes?"

II.Consent Agenda

note: consent agenda closes 48 hours prior to the meeting (7:00 PM Friday)
1. Kurt is requesting approval for funds NOT TO EXCEED $250.00 to purchase flexible conduit wire, circuit breakers, outlets, plates, switches if needed, and other various clamps and items for new grounded outlets for the 4 studios on the left hall. Sally and Michael are already renting rooms without adequate power, and Louis and Karen are slated to rent the other two. Kurt suggests 2 15A or 20A circuits for each room. Kurt and Michael have volunteered to run the wire, and will accept help from anyone who is willing (Greg?, Sandy?, Heather?)
Consent given
2. Kurt is requesting approval for funds NOT TO EXCEED $40.00 for two locks and hasps and tamper-resistant hardware for a double-lock piggy bank to be put in place in the Break Room for the drink fund. There will be two separate keys held by the Treasurer and another board member (Kurt suggests Vice Chair Greg Good for the other role - so he'll have to now carry at least one key :-). There has been a report that some monies seemed to disappear (possibly as much as $300) from the drink fund. Kurt and Greg and Heather can fashion it out of a metal pig that Sally Kuhn volunteered to donate.
Consent given
3. Add RMM Firearms Policy to the Standing Rules:
RMM Firearms Policy
Firearms are permitted on or at the RMM premises.
Firearms must be carried in a concealed fashion.
Firearms may not be stored on or at the RMM premises.
Firearms are allowed to be displayed in the open by the Firearms host, within personal labs, and within the Metal Lab.
Explosives and explosive devices may not be manufactured on or at the RMM premises.
Ammunition may not be manufactured or reloaded on or at the RMM premises.
Firearms may not be manufactured on or at the RMM premises, however, you may create the following accessories:
Stocks, grips, scopes, sights, straps, slings, and other accessories SPECIFICALLY designated as allowed by local, state, and federal authorities.
Consent given
4. Approval of Insurance Policy payment - our annual liability policy comes up for renewal in July. Cost $922. Details of policy.
Notes re current coverage and what documentation still needs to be provided to the insurer.
Consent given
5. Approval of formal policy on non-payment of membership dues
A number of members are either not paying or quite far in arrears (3+ months). Kurt proposes the following policy be adopted and communicated to the membership.
Effective July 1, 2016, RMM will adopt the following policy:
Key holding members who are 2 or more months behind in their dues will be issued a notice to bring their membership dues current within 1 month (30 days) and their access code will be revoked. They will have to coordinate with the Security Officer/Team in order to gain access to the RMM makerspace in order to retrieve any personal items. If membership dues are not brought current within 1 month (30 day) time frame, membership in RMM will be terminated, and the member will lose all privileges including:
Deactivation of any/all computer accounts at RMM systems,
Removal (not ban) of account access to the Red Mountain Makers meetup group (will lose event posting and creation privileges)
Removal from the Red Mountain Makers github group
Cancellation of all subscription(s) to the Red Mountain Makers email lists
The (now) former member will have to re-apply for membership at a later date, including payment of the past dues
The (now) former member will still be welcome at public events
Makers who are 2 or more months behind in their dues will be issued notice to bring their membership dues current within 1 month (30 days). If membership dues are not brought current within the 1 month (30 day) time frame, membership in RMM will be terminated, and the member will lose all privileges including:
Deactivation of any/all computer accounts at RMM systems,
Removal (not ban) from the Red Mountain Makers meetup group
Removal from the Red Mountain Makers github group
Cancellation of all subscription(s) to the Red Mountain Makers email lists
The (now) former member will have to re-apply for membership at a later date, including payment of the past dues
The (now) former member will still be welcome at public events

III.Committee Reports

  • Financial Report
    • Summary - although revenues were down in March, April and May, we have new keyholders taking rooms this month. This will bump cash flows back up. Thanks to revenues from the 3D printing class, RMM's monthly cash float is now getting to a comfortable place - we should be able to start
  • Grants
  • Outreach

IV. Old Business

V. New Business

1. Voting on nominees (some votes are not "consensus" style votes) - no votes
2. Any New Nominations? (for future votes) - no nominees.
3. Suggestion from Kurt to move payments to the 1st of the month. Shirley said it can be done with new CRM, once testing is complete, she can set up partial payments with individual members and start adjusting payment dates. Set goal to complete this by September.
4. Proposal from Daniel Near to create a position for an anti-harassment ombudsman. Was discussed, and was decided that the Security officer Heather Fox could act as the initial reporting group and sounding board? Heather has been doing a good job of keeping private things private. Board agreed.
5. As part of ensuring that all incoming members understand what is appropriate behaviour at theSpace, was decided that all incoming members should receive a print information package regarding bylaws, policies and that we need to ensure that they are read and signed off with an agreement to abide by them. It is too easy to skip over the current online bylaws and standing rules during the signup process. Also agreed that the position of membership director/lead should be created and that person is to ensure that incoming membership complies. Kurt will take on the role of membership director until someone else can do it. Shirley and Daniel will create information packages for incoming membership, as well as ensuring that current membership have copies.
6 John Rhymes is also interested in taking over Mykel's room, once he picks up his stuff.
7 Outreach - Sandy reported on Magic City Con. Sandy, Sally, Greg, Chris and Shay represented Red Mountain Makers at the family-oriented comic con. Handed out a lot of business cards, brochures, information packages, signed people up for the class email list and talked to many more. Sally's LED skirt wearable project was a big hit. Shay was charity-arrested by storm troopers. Thank you!

VI. Adjournment

The next board meeting will be the second Sunday of the next month at 6:00 PM - (July 10, 2016).
This meeting is now adjourned. (6:51 pm)