2016 Grants/Fundraising Info Share
Goal - Bring in Donations, Grant Funding, or Income to the Red Mountain Makers. A 501(c)3 Organization
To date: we've been busy building and have not had people available who've been able to consistently focus on fundraising.
Guide to RMM 2015/2016 Grants/Fundraising Info Share
- Resources - research, people to contact, etc.
- Community Contacts list (excel spreadsheet) - ask a board member for access)
- RMM is in contact with other organizations interested in makerspaces in the city (UAB, libraries, McWane, city schools) and in maker activities
- September 2015 Update on known funding opportunities
- How-to guide from the Carter Consulting grant-writing workshop, 18 Jan. 2016. Attended by Shirley Hicks
- Raising money - article from Make Magazine
- Specific Funding Requests in progress (Important Dates noted)
- Submitted Applications for Funding - Attach PDF of completed application and documentation of "Received Application Acknowledgement" from funding source)
- Need to document and formalize our internal grant application process.
The following is a list of things that we need or that we may be able to find/qualify for funding assistance: Rental space improvements to a century-old building in a distressed neighborhood:
- A couple of century-old doors need to be replaced to improve security and large object access.(highest priority)
- HVAC repairs/replacement - current condenser is between ten and sixteen years ald - current fan units in attic ceiling are older
- Ventilation improvements - need to get some exhaust venting into new areas and increase air turnover.
- Large equipment acquisition. A studio grade CNC carver, 4' x 5' CNC laser cutter and several additional 3D printers (UV/resin, clay, an introductory biologicals - (we may build that)), some Dremel workstations, better hand power tools suitable for studio work. Prices not yet lined up.
- A floating classroom set of laptops, Lego Mindstorm robots, and Arduino exploration kits with a wifi beacon that can operate independently of site IT systems (security concerns by schools, community centers, and community groups - one firewalled system that can hook in at _one_ point is easier to deal with. This may not end up with the makerspace - but I need to attach a price tag to the need I see.
- Containers to transport above. (Our city bus system sucks so bad - lower income students can't get out of their neighborhoods without an adult to drive them - and a lot of those adults are pushed for time. We need to be able to take stuff to the workshop or session site)
- Sourcing the beginnings of a starving makers' fund to ensure that students in our immediate area can also access the space and classes (supported by membership dues and class fees). I have plenty of local interest, but no "scholarships" fund for those who would need it. - Nice to have $5,000
- Beginning to build our "next space" renovation fund for 55?? 1st Avenue N (old Woolworth's building on the south side of 1st Ave N, beside the funeral home- Rough estimate from landlord - $50,000.
- Program development of a Woodlawn programming club - Teen tech skills development, deadline July 1, 2016
- Communications improvements - 
- Surplus federal property acquisition -