Board of Directors & Leadership
From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
- 1 Current RMM Leadership
- 2 Current Leadership CVs
- 3 Advisor's Circle CVs
Current RMM Leadership
- Chair: Greg Good
- Vice-Chair: Sandy Campbell
- Secretary: Nicole Mubarak
- Treasurer: Daniel Near
- Board Member-at-Large: Kris Kirby
- Board Member-at-Large: Juan Porras
- Board Member-at-Large: John Rhymes
Leads and Lab Hosts
- Tech Wizard (Tech admin): James Nylen
- Web admin: open
- Social Media Specialist:open
- Firearms Safety admin: Greg Good
- Security admin: Heather Fox
- Safety admin: Heather Fox
- Business Admin: open
- Bio Lab host: Karen Jensen
- Circuits Lab host: Greg Good
- 3D Print/Computer Lab host: Open
- Fiber Lab host: Shirley Hicks
- Print Lab host: open
- Shape Lab host: Christopher West
- Break Room: Stephen Ricks
- Meeting Room: open
Friends of Red Mountain Makers who act as our ties to other organizations, and who give us the advice and feedback required to keep us doing things right.
- John Rhymes
- Steven Wyss
- Mykel Alvis
- Dorcey Cox
- Seth Lewis
- David Johnson
- Marc Gilbert
Current Leadership CVs
- Roles: Board member-at-large
- Roles: Chair, Shape Lab host
- Interests within RMM: Robotics, micro controllers, CNC routers, CNC mills, laser cutters/engravers, machining, embedded systems, integrating systems together, and woodworking.
- Roles: Security Admin, Safety Admin, Metal Lab host
- Roles: Vice-Chair, Firearms Safety Admin, Circuits Lab host
- Works on a cyclotron, a type of particle accelerator for the living and enjoys tinkering with anything scientific or technical. "Come to RMM and let's see what we can make happen."
- Roles: Treasurer, Web admin., wiki administration, organizational development and planning, Fiber Lab host.
- Professional Background: Printing, design and information systems. Ontario College of Art(1985) alumna, B.S. information systems, UAB Collat School of Business (2013).
- Shirley brings previous co-op financial, operations and governance experience to RMM, as well as volunteer communications experience at one of Toronto's largest ski clubs.
- With twenty years experience in the printing industry during the time that it went through two waves of technological change, she is deeply interested in cultivating technical resilience, curiosity and adaptability in others. Ensuring the success of this group fulfills her commitment to growing a diverse computing, digital arts, technical and engineering community in Birmingham.
- Interests within RMM: Website and mobile development, programming, electronics, wearables.
- Lead skills within RMM: Sewing, printing, visual design, business planning.
- Roles: Board member-at-large, web admin back-up and Computer Lab host.
- Roles: Board member-at-large, marketing, educator, planner, tech writer, product development facilitator, idea advisor
- Professional Background: Bachelors of Industrial Design, at Auburn University; 16 years of professional experience with Internet based software development, web/email marketing, and database design.
- Shawn brings 16 years of experience in business management, plus a career that began exactly when the Internet reached its tipping point from that of the techie counter-culture to the mainstream public. He has designed/developed web based SAAS applications, video, 3D animation, and medical software; then switched careers to web marketing to master the tools and tactics to become one of Birmingham’s recognized Growth Hackers. He has always been a tinkerer, inventor and Maker at heart thus driving his desire to initiate the birth and maturation of Birmingham’s new underground artisan-technology culture.
- Interests within RMM: Robotics, micro-controllers, programming, product development/collaboration, additive/subtractive small scale manufacturing, and crowd-funding
- Lead skills within RMM: Internet marketing, prototyping, woodworking, plastics (thermo-forming, casting and polymer compounds), 3D modeling, and business planning.
- Roles: Secretary
- Background: Mechanical/Electronics Engineer. Daniel started computing in 1984 where he learned Quick Basic and Turbo Pascal writing simple programs, games and fractal generators. He learned electronics, woodworking, automotive repair and manual machining as a teenager while helping his father with projects and repairs in the family garage. Currently working as a Mechanical Engineer designing professional LED video displays and has also worked as a consultant, designing custom micro controller and power supply circuit boards for prototype projects. He previously spent over 15 years as a senior electronics troubleshooting technician performing on-site repairs for the LED display industry.
- Interests with RMM: Robotics, 3d Printing, CNC machining, Embedded systems and wood working.
- Roles: Tech Wizard (Tech Admin), financial planning and administration.
- B.S. Actuarial Science from Auburn University.
- James was an insurance actuary for 6 years and is now a programmer for Automattic, the company that maintains WordPress and related web properties. James's interests and experience include programming, automation, data analysis and visualization, and electronics.
Advisor's Circle CVs
- Roles: Advisory Circle, liaison with Alabama Power/Southern Company educational initiatives, Bio Lab Host
- Professional Background: Internal Auditing, Data Analytics, BS Industrial Management from Georgia Tech
- John brings 30+ years of audit and analytical experience and a focus on internal control structures. A Certified Fraud Examiner and Certified Internal Auditor, he currently serves as vice president of the Alabama Chapter of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners and has served as an officer or board member for over fifteen years.
- Interests within RMM: Robotics (particularly ROS), microcontrollers, open source hardware and software, learning everything
- Skills within RMM: Generation of random thoughts, scheduling events involving Georgia Tech and Alabama Power, taking things apart, thinking about putting things together, making pizza.