Some tutorials, to get you started
We also have a small library of sewing books in the cupboard on the south wall, including a Reader's Digest how-to guide, fabric type sample books, shaping and structural techniques, pattern-making and individual machine manuals.
- 1 Project organization & design
- 2 Selecting a fabric
- 3 Sewing terms
- 4 Sewing Machine basics
- 5 Overlock(Serger) basics
- 6 Sewing basics
- 7 Historic costume tutorials
- 8 e-Textiles & soft circuits
Project organization & design
- Good tips regarding keeping all components of a project in a container, having a list that you can take with you of project parts, notions and required materials, and of taking a photograph once done
- Elements of garment sewing
Selecting a fabric
- Introductory explanation of sewing terms and vocabulary
- Burda sewing vocabulary
- Glossary of sewing terms
- Glossary of textile manufacturing
Sewing Machine basics
Sewing machine thread tension & stitch length
- How to adjust stitch length and tension
- Wikipedia list of types of stitches with links to applications
- How to sew a button hole
Overlock thread tension & stitch length
Cleaning and maintenance
- You should clean the domestic machines after each use, as they rapidly accumulate lint in the feed dogs and then bobbin mechanism. This tutorial will walk you through the basics.
- The Brother industrial machine just needs the occasional brush out of the bobbin area. It has an oil pan and doesn't need oiling between uses.
Types of feet
- Preparing your fabric - hint! - wash and shrink wearables that will be washed before you cut.
- Preparing and marking fabric
- Marking and cutting fabric
- How to pin fabric
- Construction basics
- How to sew a top-stitch
- Using your iron as a shaping and finishing tool
Historic costume tutorials
- Costuming Diary patterns and tutorials - great resource!