From Red Mountain Makers Wiki
|Movable storage cabinets |
ongoing (updated early June 2015)
|goals||To convert existing tall exam room storage cabinets into movable storage|
|Purpose||To develop flexible task and subject oriented storage.|
|Participants||Shirley, Russell, Kurt|
|Materials||Existing tall storage cabinets, n x (4 x industrial wheel sets), peg board, 5/8" or 3/4" plywood, paint. Talk to Kurt Fattig - he can get industrial strength wheels from Motion Industries at employee pricing.|
|Date||7 April 2015|
We need additional storage in the space. We also need movable storage, so that equipment and supplies can be easily brought to work areas.
- Existing tall storage cabinets
- peg board (as required)
For wheel bases:
- 5/8" or 3/4" plywood - existing sheet in space.
- 1/2" plywood, scrap from other projects.
- 10 x (4 x industrial wheel sets) (to be kept to same brand so that all storage units are the same height.) -- Purchase cost $90 - due at space in mid-June.
- 4 sets (4 x industrial wheel sets, 2" wheel, 90 lb capacity) from Home Depot, purchased to get project going ($75) -- all used.
- Primer (see Killz paint supply in maintenance room to left of sink, also paint trays, roller and brushes, next cupboard to right) and paint. Color to be determined.
- Leftover decking screws from Russell's last home improvement project.
- Pull off existing kick plates on bottom of cabinets.
- Remove any nails sticking out (leftover from cabinet removal).
- Cut two new bases (front and back) from plywood.
- Attach with about 8 - 10 screws
- Screw in 2" swivel wheel sets, two braking wheels at front, and two plain swivel wheels at back.
- Trim off any extra trim
- Wash with TSP or citrus cleaner
- Prime (unknown paint base, assume that it's oil based lead paint)
- Kurt (purchasing wheel sets)
- Looking for more!
- Shirley and Russell have converted two tall cabinets and two base cabinets.
- Additional tall and counter height cabinets to be pulled from exam rooms and converted as adaption work done.
- 2 tall cabinets and two counter height cabinets converted, need to be washed down (with TSP, in maintenance storage cabinets) and prepped for painting.
- Currently stored in member storage area.
- Also - knobs or finger holes? Also need reinforcement inside on hinge edge (fascia was trimmed back)
- Will need additional shelves installed, once use is determined.
- Prime (primer in maintenance storage cabinets to left of sink) and then paint.
- Was on hold for a while - we didn't have enough space (or time) to convert some of the cabinets being pulled out.
As of September 15th, 2015:
- Spare wheel sets on hand - in Shape Lab
- Apply any additional cabinets pulled out of kitchen, current maintenance room or member studio/work rooms. (need storage for Props Lab)