Project:RMM Information System
- The Red Mountain Makers information system project.
- Please add and edit -- Shirley
Project page to coordinate developing Red Mountain Maker's information system.
- @the space
- Shirley Hicks
- Chris Lais
- Kurt Fattig
- Baird Castleberry
- Michael Crump
- John Rhymes
Related documentation, working files
- Membership records on Google Drive
- Equipment Inventory
- Software packages under consideration for use in space.
Initial development notes/ideas
Red Mountain Makers business information description
Who will the users be?
- RMM Makers
- RMM Members
- Full Members
- Members with work rooms
- Guest instructors
- Class attendees.
- Meeting attendees
What groups can they be divided in?
- Full Members
- Members with work rooms
- Safety instructors
- Specific topic instructors
- Guest instructors (not members of the makerspace)
- non-member class attendees
- Administrators, Safety
Strictly enforcement of access to different parts of the system. Access to different parts of the system to be on a "needs only" basis.
- Future program-specific collaborating organizations
- Other members of the Alabama Makerspace Alliance
- Our landlord, Andrew Morrow and Community Properties LLC
- REV Birmingham
- Woodlawn Initiative Foundation
Information that needs to be stored:
- Event attendance form
- Equipment inventory spreadsheet
- Liability waiver
- Parking permit for projects (proposed)
- Parking ticket for projects and objects (proposed)
Forms and systems that need to be developed:
- Space reservation
- Work room/studio rental agreement
- Member signup
- Member administration (payment, logins and access to systems, servers, information updates, safety and training certifications)
How many users do we need to handle?
- Makers and Members - 2014 - 70
- 2015 - 100
- 2016 - 120
- Guest Instructors - 2014 - 4-6
- 2015 - 10 - 15
- 2016 - 20+
- class attendees, non-member - 2014 - up to 300
- 2015 - up to 600
- 2016 - up to 900
What kind of growth rate do we expect?
- Makers and Members - 2014 - 300%
- 2015 - 30%
- 2016 - 20%
- Guest Instructors - 2014 - starting from zero > 200%
- 2015 - 200%
- 2016 - 200%
- class attendees, non-member - 2014 - starting from zero > 300%
- 2015 - 200%
- 2016 - 50%
When do you need the application to be available, realistically?
- September - blew past that! Velochicdunord (talk) 10:25, 5 December 2015 (EST)
- Need class sign-up for January 2016.
- Rollout needs to be phased.
- Maker and Member access systems to building need to be live by ASAP!!
- Safety certifications and equipment RFID card swipe system should be active by August-September.
- Class and event sign-up and room booking system needs to be live for early August.
- Class member and instructor access needs to be live by the Labor Day weekend (depends on when we decide to start classes).
- Small item and course kit sales can be later, but ideally, Labor Day weekend with class and instructor member access.
What browser version/devices will the users be using?
As of 17 may 2014, from RMM Google Analytics:
- Chrome - 422(43.33%)
- Firefox - 248(25.46%)
- Safari - 175(17.97%)
- Internet Explorer - 82(8.42%)
- Android Browser - 17(1.75%)
- Safari (in-app) - 13(1.33%)
- Mozilla - 4(0.41%)
- Mozilla Compatible Agent - 4(0.41%)
- IE with Chrome Frame - 3(0.31%)
- Amazon Silk - 2(0.21%)
- Website visitors: desktop/laptop - 76%
- Mobile phone users - 17%
- Tablet - 7%
Mobile device breakdown:'
- Apple iPhone - 87(37.50%)
- Apple iPad - 53(22.84%)
- Google Nexus 4 - 6(2.59%)
- (not set) - 5(2.16%)
- Samsung GT-I9300 Galaxy S III - 5(2.16%)
- Samsung GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV - 5(2.16%)
- Google Nexus 7 - 4(1.72%)
- Samsung SGH-I337 Galaxy S IV - 4(1.72%)
- Samsung SGH-M919 Galaxy S IV - 4(1.72%)
- Google Nexus 10 - 3(1.29%)
- In case of an emergency, what time window do we have to get things back up?
- We need 3-hour max downtime, with key lock or manual overrides on equipment, room access and cash sale systems (to be discussed)
From where will you need access to the application? (internal or external?)* Internal - RFID card set-up/enrollment
- Point-of-sale system
- RFID card assignment/activation
To create an easy-to-use comprehensive space administration system.
What is the goal of the application?
To automate (and make as easy as possible, while observing all legal requirements for information privacy and custody)
- member enrollment
- member safety and security in the space at all times (especially late at night when there are fewer people around)
- shop safety
- instructor recruitment
- class sign-up and sales
- Sales of small supplies and course kits within the space.
Find out which limitations there are to the environment in which you'll deploy the application (which windows version, which .net version, etc - this helps prevent surprises)
Limitations: System should be easily web-accessible (compliant to AMIA standards) by all users on multiple platforms (phone, iPad, stand alone older desktop computers and laptops). • Must be secure (credit card transactions, name and address information, etc) • Should be responsive, with minimal lag time
Anticipated use/structure of use
A person comes in as a new Maker or recognized instructor -- as part of signing up:
- * Assigned member number (unique ID)
- * Name (first, last)
- * Address (needed? yes or no? Would help long term to know where our members are coming from)
- * How they found group (?)
- * Phone number (?)
- * Nom du net (nick name/user name)
- * Payment, method of payment, method for recurring payment either from account (paypal, credit card, check, authorized bank payment from account).
- * Payment, method of payment, method for recurring payment to account (paypal, credit card, check, authorized bank payment from account).
- * Member status (maker, member, full member, member with room rental)
- * Key # (optional not given to makers, but slot available for when maker becomes a member)
- * RFID pass card number
Security of information?
- Anyone coming into the space needs to sign a waiver.
- Request for background medical condition information (required or optional?, with the advisory that releasing that will help if Something Goes Wrong)
- Do we request an emergency contact as well? - or is that part of the basic sign-up information?
- RFID passcard - Used by Members to access the space
- Used by makers to log access to equipment on which they have been certified and to make purchases of small consumables.
- Used to give Instructors access to tools and areas
needed to run classes.
Initial user ID should also give user editing rights on the group wiki (LDAP integration?)
Certification and Safety tracking system
- Member ID or
- Member Name (first, last)
- Certifications held
- First aid, medical
- Instructor type (which ones do we recognize to act as safety instructor, class instructor? Are there any existing cert. modules we can tap?)
- Tool training
- Individual tools
- Safety and first aid equipment
- Skill badges (initially, describe - we can have some fun finding or describing icons)
- Professional certifications (start as fields so people can simply describe the ones they have)
- Need to brainstorm to identify potential areas from which certifications may be held (welding, hazardous materials handling, specialized skills and instruction)?
Class and event registration
- Makers, Members and general public must be able to sign up for classes and events.
- Cost of class or class series
- Discount for makers?
- Discount for members
- Discount for other sponsoring organizations (future part of database - not needed immediately)
- If member or maker, pulls contact information into form
- If member of general public or other organization, requests contact information, adds space waiver to sign-off requirements
- Class dates
- Event ID
- Space scheduling
- Sponsoring member (s)
- Outside group?
- Rooms in space which will be used
- Single vs. repeating event
- Date (s)
- Times start >
- Time end >> event length
- Specific space equipment used (our future chair supply, all the sewing machines, large screen TV, long-arm quilting machine, etc)
- Member-accessible space booking interface
- First one to book generally gets the use of the space
- Manual administrator override accessible by member making the arrangements, so that if members are negotiating access for individual events, things can be re-arranged easily, but with some control, reporting.
- Small consumables purchase system (repurposed cigarette or vending machine? Maker space tuck shop?), to be made available as demand generated.
- To sell rapidly consumable items, such as:
- Sewing machine needles
- Black and white thread
- Small box cutters
- Saw blades
- Disposable brushes
- Project specific items (by course)
- Blank circuit boards
- Casting silicone
- Keyed to RFID card? Encourage makers, members and guests to maintain positive balance of funds within space. Or have some ability to accept cash (and make change) or accept credit cards. Open to suggestions as to approaches - can start with a basic petty cash box.
IT/IS infrastructure tasks
Task coordinator: James, techadmin at redmountainmakers dot org, Shirley
- Rework theme developed by Ann G so that it's child theme of "Sporty" (originally derived from "Sporty") - work being done by Velochicdunord
- - DONE!! Feb 2016
- - DEPLOYED!! early March 2016
Next iteration of website
- Within WordPress framework, using:
- WooCommerce plugins
- testing Divi theme builder framework - nope - adds too much weight
- also testing GeneratePress - best choice
- Chosen for:
- Font set (carrying on from RMM-Sport): Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;
Membership plugin possibilities
- [Paid Memberships Pro] - nope
- s2Membership - nope
- Ultra Pro - nope
- WooCommerce Memberships - best integration with WooCommerce and WooCommerce Subscriptions - NOW WORKING!!!! (September 4th, 2016)
- Need to add liability waiver as separate term of use of space
- Need to add terms & conditions of use of website
- Need to add privacy statement regarding how we handle information submitted.
Evaluations of membership plugins
Under the hood
- Add Google verification text to header
- GeneratePress theme properly microformats, optimizing structure of information for search engine.
Makespace management system beta
Lead developer: Bob Baddeley, Sector67 Bob's notes
- Feel free to look around the Sector67 web site for how we present everything. Specifically, search in the shop for Membership.
- First, a document with a lot of the settings for setting up our Wordpress site with the appropriate plugins. Not all of them are required for getting the RFID stuff working, but you may be able to figure out which parts you need. It's a google doc, and here's the link to it:
- Github repository, which includes the Machines plugin for wordpress, and the python scripts for the pi. That is here:
This should be enough for you to get started. I'm happy to answer questions or flesh out documentation where it's spotty. - Bob