Roles and responsibilities
Red Mountain Makers is a membership-based organization - and most stuff is handled by individual members, friends of the group and some community volunteers. In order to help everyone understand who is responsible for what, we're creating some roles and responsibility descriptions to ensure that newer members, volunteers, and other folks know who to bug for what. :)
Will also help anyone taking on these roles get up to speed quickly. Hopefully with minimal pain.
Lab host guidelines
Note: Lab Host guidelines are for the lab host to help other's use the Lab, not to dictate or slave over it. -Trae 2015.09.19
(Below guidelines are based on vote to approve a print lab host as precedent)
- The Lab Host's responsibilities are over the Lab's cleanliness, equipment maintenance, user coordination, and education.
- The Lab Host will ensure the cleanliness of the lab is kept.
- The Lab Host will ensure maintenance of equipment in the Lab;
- The Lab Host will coordinate and educate users on maintaining, cleaning, and using equipment themselves as it serves their needs.
- In the event that equipment migrates to another lab the Lab host will continue to service over said equipment until a lab host is established for the new lab in question. In the event that users of the lab desire to organize, the Lab Host will coordinate and chair committee meetings based upon the usage of the lab and its equipment and will represent the committee in financial requests to the board and membership as needed.
- The Lab Host will maintain access to resources for user education.
- Lab hosts are to receive a $20 per month discount.
- Template:Security officer responsibilities
- Template:Web admin responsibilities
- Template:IT lead responsibilities
- Template:Safety officer responsibilities
- Template:Communications lead responsibilities
Source: RMM bylaws
"The Chair shall be the chief executive Officer of the corporation and shall, subject to the control of the Board of Directors, supervise and control the affairs of the corporation and the activities of the Officers including the enforcement of these bylaws and any standing rules unless designated to another official by the board of directors. Except as otherwise expressly provided by law, by the articles of incorporation or by these bylaws, the Chair shall, in the name of the corporation, execute such deeds, mortgages, bonds, contracts, checks, or other instruments which may from time to time be authorized by the board of directors. The chair shall convene regularly scheduled board meetings, shall preside or arrange for other members of the Executive Committee to preside at each meeting in the following order: Vice-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer."
How to do specific tasksTemplate:Vice-chair
Source: Red Mountain Makers bylaws
"The secretary shall keep a book of minutes of all meetings, proceedings, and actions of the board, of committees of the board, and of members' meetings. The minutes of meetings shall include the time and place that the meeting was held; whether the meeting was annual, general, or special; the notice given; the names of persons present at board, committee, regular, and special meetings. The Secretary shall send out meeting announcements, distributing copies of minutes and the agenda to each board member, and assuring that corporate records are maintained. The Secretary shall keep a record of the corporation's members, showing each member's name, address, and class of membership. The secretary shall keep a copy of the articles of incorporation and bylaws, as amended to date."
Organization minutes are maintained on the [group wiki.
Meeting announcements are sent out to the mailing list
Corporate files and records are maintained:
- Paper copies - filing cabinet
- Electronic documents - Google drive respository (need password and correct gmail address to login)
As much as possible, keep file folder structure the same for physical and virtual files.
Stuff that needs to be done when a new secretary comes in
- Outgoing secretary to train incoming secretary (and remain as advisor)
Secretary will need account access for:
- wiki - needs to have administrator privileges to be able to roll back edits to minutes and other key records.
- website - editor level - for publicity, announcements and organizational information
- google doc repository - all formatted docs, correspondence and materialsTemplate:Board members-at-large
Roles not yet created
Many members have taken individual responsibility for different needs. As the group grows, we anticipate converting these from individual areas of responsibility to group or committee roles, to share the workload and make it easier. Leaving a description for the next suck^^person will make passing along responsibility easier